Mackie 1604 vlz question

malcolm123

I have a 1604 VLZ with rack ears and a box in the back of it that one of the local PA guys around town gave me. The unit is in pretty good condition other than all the dust on it from it sitting up. all the channels work as well as all other functionality. One things it does do is after a while of being turned on the left channel volume gets lower than the right. I figured out that if I jurk any of the chanel faders that has a signal up real quick then back down the channel will come back on and work just fine for at least a hour or so. I am really the only one that messes with this this mixer so it's not a big problem for me. I did incorporate the mixer with the bands practice PA system using it for line/ins and aux sends to monitors. With it being hooked up to a PA when that channel goes out you can really tell it. The channel that goes out source is from the mixer's left channel from the main outs. To get around this problem I just fed the rack from the mixer's headphone out using stereo. Has anyone encountered this problem before. Could it be a board problem, loose soilder or dust. I was just askig because I will be using it more soon and if I can resolve the problem myself cheaply I will before I get it serviced.

Thanks
Malcolm

Is it just a single fader that has the "temporary fix effect" or is it any fader that's panned left?

Short of that answer, I'll throw out these meanderings...

If you hear scratching when you slide the fader, you have (at least) dirty contacts on the fader. best way to take care of that on the 1604 - short of replacing the fader - is to just exercise the fader back and forth a few dozen times when the mixer is not in use, just to try and clean the contacts of dust and corrosion a bit. The trim controls on the 1604 can be rather succeptable to this problem to, not a bad idea to keep those exericsed as well.

I wound not recommend consumer contact cleaner spray or rubbing alchohol on the faders - better to keep them dry I believe - and such cleaners will not work on the trim controls on the 1604VLZ as the contacts are sealed.

If the loss in volume on the left channel is gradual and there is no real scratching sound involved, you may have a weak transistor or component in the left main out finals circuitry that gets tempermental once the heat builds, in which case that would require repair.

HTH,

G.

Back