Mackie 1604 VLZ and Headphones

AcousticBob

Dumb question, but I'm going nuts so here goes.

Using 1604vlz pro with Emu 1820 and Sonar 3. Anyways, when its time to record with a microphone I only want the headphones and not the control room outs to sound. Is there anyway to do this on the 1604 other than unplugging the damn control out jacks every single time? I cant seem to find any switch that does this and no direct mention of it in the owners manual. I realize the Control room out and headphones get same signal from what the manual says, but no mention of how to shut off Control Room but still get headphone. Please tell me its possible.... please :p

Thanks

After examining the diagram for my 1202, and I'll try and break it to ya gently, - in a word NO! There is no switch for what you want to do. All you can do is keep the power switch to what ever is connected to your control outs handy.

Bob

Nope... but here's how to get around it

AcousticBob-

I think you can get around this by using the sub outs to run your studio monitors, then pull the sub faders down when you are recording.

I was using a 1642, which had separate controls for CR and headphones, but my idiot housemate sold it to a pawn shop (grrr). So I went out and bought a 1604 and ran into your same problem. So here's my work around:

http://www.presonus.com/hp4.html

I run the CR/phone outs into the HP4, then out of the HP4 to the studio monitors. There's a mute switch and volume control for the monitors on the front panel!

On the upside- this cures the problem and gives you 4 headphone outs with separate volumes for each (and you could still use the headphone out from the Mackie, giving you a total of 5). It sounds great and gives you lots of control. There's also a mono button to check your mixes and stuff.

On the downside- another wallwart taking up space on the power strip, more cables to hook it all up, and a safe place to put the darn thing. Oh yeah, and no on/off button ;(

I'm still pissed at my housemate for hocking the 1642. (grrr)

Hope this info helps, Cheers, Rez

Last edited:
Back