Mackie 1604 --> Korg D1600

mwarkentin

Hey all..

I just rented a D1600 and I'm trying to figure out how to set it up with the 1604. I'm in a church sanctuary, and I've got a 16 channel snake running to the sound booth. I'm guessing that the preamps on the Mackie are higher quality than the ones on the Korg, so I'd like to use them, and then send the signal to the Korg.

On the diagram in the Mackie manual, they show 4 direct outs and 4 sub outs going to the recorder. Is there a reason they didn't just use all 8 direct outs? That's what I've been thinking of doing..

I've also got an Avalon VT737sp, so I could just go directly into the Korg with that right?

Will the Main insert effects be applied to the direct outs? There is an equalizer and limiter on there, which I don't want to be used on my signal, should I disconnect them?

I think the main difference between the Direct outs and the inserts is that the inserts are pre EQ and the Direct outs are post EQ and Insert. Check the manual to be sure.

For the shortest possible path use the inserts.

Plug the Avalon straight into the Korg like you described..

I've got the 1402 which should be similar in function as the 1604 and as TexRoadKill posted, the direct outs are post EQ. I wanted to add that they are also post fader so the inserts are pre fader. The manual contains steps in what you're trying to do - just use the board for its pres. Also, I would bet that the Avalon pres are nicer than the Mackies.

Oh the Avalon pre is most definitely better than the Mackie's, but I only have 1. It should work great for bass DI, guitar, vocals, but drums I'm going to have to use several of the Mackie pres.

Right on!

On every single mixing console, the Direct Out is supposed to be post EQ and the inserts pre EQ.

Peace...

PC

Back