mackie 1202 or something else

gtar02

I found an oringinal mackie 1202 (not vlz) for $150. I currently have a behringer mx802 that I try to avoid using for recording. I'm trying to decide if I should get the mackie for it's pres, or get some stand alone pres for around the same price. My soundcard has four inputs, so I would like four pres and dont want to spend too much more than $150, but I figured the mackie would be an improvement over the behringer.

I believe that the new Mackie 1202 VLZ is the one that has the better preamps in it. If I were you I'd pay $25 more and get the VLZ used but in good condition on ebay. They are about $175 to $200. Better to spend a few more dollars and get a better sound than settle for less over a $25 difference IMHO.

Your not going to find better pres in a standalone unit in this price range.

What sound card do you have?

Actually, the unit your would want is the 1202 VLZ "PRO." That is the one with the good mic pres in it. Otherwise, I cant imagine that the regular 1202 is going to be a huge improvement over the Behringer since Behringer just rips of Mackies designs.

I would say it would be an improvement...but not worth it. If you are looking for good preamps, save up for good preamps. Those found in those mackie boards arent going to do anything amazing or special.

Not worth it at all. IMHO The dmp would be a worthwhile upgrade from your behringer pres and it only costs $150, but it is only 2 channels. That would be a much better way to spend your money though. How often do you use all 4 channels anyway?

try the new Yammi boards mg series (mg12/4 ...$199.00). much better pre section than any of the Mackie series and very affordable. even if its just for a while! (could always use a board down the road for something)

Rev E said:
Where do you folks get this stuff from?

lol, if that isn't obvious just from looking at the mixers I don't know what is. When the Mackies first came out they were very unique and had some cool features that usually weren't on small mixers. The Behringers came out a year later with an almost identical look and all the same features.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there a model of Behringer mixer who's circuit board was identical to a Mackie mixer, right down to a flaw that was later corrected in a later version of that same Mackie?

Yes, Behringer goes way over the top in incorporating competitive analysis into their design process (they steal shamelessly). But copying architechture doesn't equate to little or no difference between the products. If Behringer mixers were just as good as Mackie's, for so much less, then not many people would be buying Mackie, and Behringer wouldn't have the sub standard reputation that they have.
For 4 Pre's though, my little 2 cents worth is ......get some variety instead of another 4 pre's that all sound the same. Maybe start with a clean stereo pre like the DMP3, and then later add a couple of different more colorfull pre's, one of which might want to be a tube pre.

Cheers, RD

My point is that I listen with my ears and not my eyes. And when I listen to both brands, of varying models over the years, they don't sound a bit alike.

So all this nonsense about Behringer copying design flaws is of little consequence, since as I said and you should know given your experience with both ... they don't and have never sounded alike. That's my point. So apart from all of the Internet gabbing ... what part of Behringer's 'copying' has resulted in a sound like the Mackie vlz pro preamp?

'Features' are 'functional' and can legally be copied under the law... freely. 'Patented' art cannot be copied. Can you point to exactly what Mackie actually patented, if anything? Can you say that Behringer copied the 'patent'? Because if you or Mackie can't say either, all of this talk is ... well ... pointless and misleading.

Back