MacBook Pro - software options?

BJW

So I think I'm going to be getting a MacBook Pro soon (as a gift). This is great news - I've always wanted a good mobile recording rig, and the MBP is light-years faster than my 4.5 year old PC.

Anyway, I currently run Cubase SX2 and the PreSonus FirePod. I like Cubase, but I have a few concerns about using it with a Mac. Note: I will definately run bootcamp and have an install of Windows XP Pro.

1. Should I upgrade to SX3, which is Mac compatible, and run it on the MacBook Pro under OSX Tiger? I understand it runs under Rosetta on Mac OSX, which slows things down a lot.

2. Should I run SX2 (or upgrade to SX3) and run it under bootcamp on Windows XP, since the intel-chipped apples can run windows natively? Would the performance boost be noticable in Windows vs. OSX (assuming that running it w/bootcamp negates the need to run Rosetta)? This seems like the best option for me, since I know Cubase and it SHOULD run faster in windows, but I've always heard how recording on a mac is soooo much better.

3. Should I consider investing in Apple's Logic Pro software, which is now binary and will take full advantage of the duo-core processor?

Hmmm, questions, questions.

I definately think I'll download the demo of Logic Express and goof around with it.

What do you think?

Back