Mac or PC?

ralf

i'm about to get into computer recording. i am going to be buying pro tools digi 001. i would like to get your opinion on whether to go with a mac computer or a pc computer. what is any of your opinions or advantage/disadvantage of either. thanks.
-ralf

digi001, mac. designed on macs.

nuendo, pc. designed on pc's.

although many will refute these suggestions, that's what I would do.
hope you're not too :confused:

stone

The mac is easier to use and to troubleshoot. The pc is faster, cheaper, has more programs and works better on other applications besides music since it has true multitasking (the mac multitasks but the front application always tend to consume all the syste resources).
All this assuming Macos 9 and Windows 98se.

Cheers, Andrés

That's funny stonepiano, but not true. When I worked at Digidesign during the development of the 001, I worked every day with a number of engineers who were working on PCs. In fact, I had beta Pro Tools LE software and a 001 running on both my PC and Mac at exactly the same time, with exactly the same feature set.

The only difference to the end user right now is that you can work with a QuickTime movie window on the Mac version. If you don't need that feature, then you should look at 3 things:

1. Your budget
2. The amount of power you need
3. What you are most comfortable working with

Pick the computer that wins 2 out of those 3, and you'll be satisfied.

Also be advised of a few things.

1 - The digi001 converters are not really all that much better than many other converters.

2 - The digi001 has a "wave driver" so that other pc applications can use it, BUT, it only allows those programs to use 2 channels! Also, the wave driver is "buggy" right now.

3 - PT software WILL NOT work with anything other than PT hardware. You are stuck using the digi001 with PT on a PC. (that may be your aim)

4 - PT software uses RTAS plugin's and does not support VST and/or Direct X plugin's. Plugin's for PT systems tend to cost a lot of money.

5 - PT LE software offers really NOTHING I haven't seen in Sonar, Nuendo, Vegas, etc....It doesn't sound any better either. It DOES keep the master buss from clipping though, and to me, that is very problematic because the audio volume is reduced. I have verified this comparing 8 tracks of audio, with no faders turned down, and nothing on the master buss being turned down, no dithering, etc....Those same 8 tracks made into a stereo .wav file in Sonar and Nuendo had digital peak distortions, the PT LE outputted file DID NOT, and the PT LE file was MUCH quieter. I do not like that because obviously, PT LE takes it upon itself to "fix" the overload problem by reducing the overall audio volume on the master buss. WRONG!!!

6 - PC's running os's on the NT platform and Mac's are about as stable as each other. As stated earlier, PC's will support more software/hardware, and the software/hardware tends to cost a bit less without usually sacrificing quality/features.

7 - Mac users will try to pick this post apart. :)

8 - PC users will try to pick this post apart. :D

9 - PC and Mac users can both fuck off! These are my OPINIONS, and some of them are based upon a lot of research, computer experience, audio experience, and just plain common sense. :D

10 - Pick your setup based upon which software/hardware you would like to fun. Nuendo with most any 8 I/O card is going to compete quite favorably with PT LE and the digi001. Consider the above that I posted concerning prices, capatibility, and driver issues when making this post. You will see that PC/Nuendo/average 8 I/O card is almost always going to win.

Good luck.

Ed

Oh, and if you decide on a PC with the digi001, follow digidesign's "recommended hardware list" to a tee! Read it carefully, and get the best that you can afford! digidesign hardware/software does not like to run on systems that don't follow it's recommendations.

Ed

sooorrryyyy

thank you for correcting me there, Charger. I humbly bow to more experienced sources. :)

I worked at a high end shop in Chicago selling mics and the software salesmen, who purported to know a decent amount about the systems, told me that erroneous nugget. I knew I shouldn't have trusted those bastards!

stone

on stability, I noticed that macs act different depending on the model. My iMac with G3 processors are less stable than my G4. What I noticed is that the mac crashes more (and when it crashes it really goes down) but the PC degrades it's performance without crashing.

On the good side, the mac is pretty easy to understand. There is one system folder and apps don't go installing things in different places, or have a registry, or IRQ's or whatever the PC has. If you don't like something, you just move it from the system folder and that's it. The Windows folder is a mistery to me.

Sonusman is right about Digidesign being very propietary. But in the mac platform I saw some VSTi wrappers for free, one of them also let you use VST plugs along with the instruments. Of course there aren't as many plugins as in the pc world. There's even a program that let's you link Protools and Reason, and they say it runs with any Rewire application.

As for common use, I have to say that the pc is much better. I didn't try the new macs (G4 >400Mhz), but I don't think you can chat in the irc, read your mail, surf the web, make an excel, read a pdf file and write a word document all at the same time as in a PC. And I have a PC with 64mb against an iMac with 640 MB.

I will also like to have something like Gigasampler on the mac.

Cheers, Andrés

Back