Mac or PC?

topolino

what's the verdict, kids? Macintosh or IBM-compatible? Or something else?

there's quite a few factors, a main one for me being price.

if this has already been addressed, someone do me the kindness of directing me to such info

thanks

from a computer engineering standpoint and value for money daw with POWER.
amd 64 in my opinion. beats anything. see the amd 64 thread in this recording and soundcards section.
search under my name for lots of tips in the past year on setting up a daw pc recording studio.

If you got money to spend:

Macs

I'll tell you why. Simply put, many times more stable than PCs.

If not, PCs can step up and achieve the same thing, depending on the situation.

rosario. there is another side to this.
the pc often takes the convenient fall for people who arent willing
to take care of their machines. ive seen macs get just as screwed up.
its like a guy - as a crude analogy - who puts a cd in his cd player upside down then wonders why it wont play.
if people arent willing to even educate themselves even a little bit, they cant blame the pc for that. if you asked me honestly what i thought of tech today i believe 90 per cent is junk - and most is marketing.
BUT - the emergence of the AMD 64 has got me more excited than ive been for years. and if ever high speed quantum computers come to market
i will be even more excited. but ive a feeling it wont be for many decades yet.

LRosario said:
If you got money to spend:

Macs

I'll tell you why. Simply put, many times more stable than PCs.

If not, PCs can step up and achieve the same thing, depending on the situation.

I smell some steamy bullshit. PC's are just as stable as Macs, as long as you don't buy crap. Do you run a $399 Mac? No. So why expect a $399 PC to do the same job?

Still, you can spend the same amount of money on the cheapest Mac, and have a PC that will run circles around most Macs.

I'd be nicer if this same Apple propaganda crap hadn't already been spread here before.

I even like Macs.....but let's be realistic and provide accurate information here.

brzilian said:
Yawn...

Why does somebody always have to start this thread over and over?

gosh, sorry to bore you. ...of course, why did you read all the way to the bottom, yawn audibly, and then post a reply? at least the thread gave you something to occupy your time with... kept you off the streets

I think I'll go with "Platform is IRRELEVANT" and start thinking more in terms of software. There's no real answer to "Mac or PC"

topolino said:
There's no real answer to "Mac or PC"

Sure there is.

If you want something that looks pretty and costs a lot, buy a mac.

If you want raw power, buy a pc. There's no mystery. That's the way it's always been

Oh boy. Another mac or PC debate. Well, here goes.

As far as stability goes, PC's can be as stable as Macs, but not all PC's are created equal so if you go for PC be wary of who you buy from and if at all possible build your own JUST for recording. One of the great things about Mac's is that they are pretty much always going to be stable because there aren't so many different configurations and Apple does some serious ass-kicking with both their hardware and OS. The Apple hardware and OS are well tuned to one another and it shows. You can pretty much depend on an Apple right out if the box...IF you can afford the box that is.

I build and maintain my PC, and I ran the same installation of Windows XP Pro for over a year until I switched to my AMD athlon 64 a few months ago. I use Sonar 1 for all of pretty much everything and I use and m-audio audiophile 2496 for my sound card. The current incarnation of my machine (not including software) is about $400.

Don't spend any money until you figure out your goals. What do you want to do with your machine? Small home studio? Semi-pro recording environment for local bands? Your own personal recording Utopia?

After you figure that out, then ask yourself if you are more comfortable using the Mac OS X or Windows products. While they share similarities, they actually are built on very different design philosophies and you do not want an uncomfortable gui getting in your way when you are trying to record. If you are not already a Mac user this is probably not the best way to make the switch. If you are a democrat, it is probably going to be pretty confusing for you to take a job with the GOP just before the election. Catch my drift?

No offense to Sonny, but I find it amusing when people say don't use your DAW for internet, e-mail, gaming, etc.

My desktop does all of the above, plus audio. No issues. When I get frustrated that I can't get a part quite right, I take a break and fire up my lightsaber in Jedi Academy, on the same machine.

Then again I spend much of my day cleaning computers of spyware as a result of AIM or Fantasy Football sites, so I guess I see the point being made.

Polaris20 said:
I smell some steamy bullshit. PC's are just as stable as Macs.....

hahahahahahahahahahahaha yeah, like hell they are! im a recent convert to a mac, and after having to wait on average 5-10 mins for my pc to fully load and shut the f*ck up and be ready for music, now im ready within a few mins.
and no, before you wise people tell me that its cos of the extra crap/internet/etc, ill tell you that a) i never use internet on my main music pc or mac b) i never install anything other than music software. they both have been dedicated machines

the plus side to a pc is that you get alot more for your money, and you can easily repair things yourself.

if you have more money to burn, etc etc blahdeblah, get a mac.

PC's are great, but compared to at least 1 crash per session on the PC with only 1 since i first ever got a mac, i think that pleases me somewhat lots

I've had my PC running XP for more than 2 years now and it hasn't crashed ONCE. Of course PCs can be as stable as MACs, no question.

I also have my PC hooked up to the Internet via cable modem, and a firewall is shielding the system. After all, I want to update the software, share audio files with other, etc. I don't really understand this "don't have anything else on the computer except your recording/sequencing software and don't connect to the Internet". I have optimized the PC for audio recording, though, which makes a big difference. That's easy to do on a PC, but I don't know how easy that is on a MAC. In summary, performance wise and stability wise, there's no difference between a PC and a MAC.

I'd go with the "chose your sequencer/recording software first" argument. I still run Logic 5.5 on my PC, and I love Logic so much that I consider switching to MAC. However, I simply don't have $2.5k for a new machine. The G5 are a LOT of money, but hey, think about it that way: I you want a dual-processor PC you almost spend the same amount of money (which I don't have). If I had a commercial facility, I'd have a bunch of MACs in a network and make use of the shared audio processing in Logic, no question. That's state of the art.

One other argument for/against platform is this one: Windows is one of the worst operating systems I have ever seen. The philosophy is just plain wrong, and I think nobody on this planet should make a conscient & informed descision to support any Bill Gates product.

I give you an example of the Windows philosphy -- amoung thousands I could quote:

My dad recently gave me a call because he purchased a brand new XP machine-- his first computer in his life. He called me and asked "Hey, how do I switch the machine off? I can't find any button!" -- I replied "You have to click on START, then ..." He interrupted me and said "WHAT? You have to click on START to END Windows???" How intuitive is that?? *LOL*

I have yet to see a convincing argument either way. I am a PC guy. My theory is that if you aren't willing to do a little tweaking to get your PC right, buy a MAC. If you want more flexibility, lower prices, more options, and are willing to maybe do some research and tweaking, buy a PC. I don't need a dual processor G5, my AMD 64 bit processor system runs every bit as fast and smooth and possibly even better. My PC gets used hardcore about 60 - 120 hours a week with no crashes. I can boot up and start up Nuendo and get a file opened and playing in all of about 2 minutes. I too have a firewall, antivirus, Raid software, weather applet and all sorts of crap running in the backround. The biggest thing is to know windows a little and know what crap you are and aren't putting on your computer and how those different programs affect each other. I have absolutely no problems with either mac's or PC's. It's just like cars. There are lots of options, some cheaper, some more expensive. No 1 is better than the other, but just serves a different purpose. The thing is, no matter what you have, you have to treat it right and take care of it. If not, it will not run properly, or even at all.

I would never choose between a Mac or a PC. I would look at the software and hardware I want to run on it and then decide which platform fits it best. If I want MOTU DP4 or Pro Tools or the new Logic, I would get a MAC. If I want Nuendo or Cubase or Audition or Sonar, I would get a PC.

As far as networking towers to share audio demands between different computers, Steinberg has been doing that for years. In fact, I think you can even do it between a MAC and a PC.

For me, anyone who flat out says that one is better than the other is just trying to make themselves feel better by defending their own purchase. Or else doesn't no how to properly use the other system.

Nicely put -- that pretty much sums it up.

I have no preference either, except that each time I purchase a Microsoft product I get this creepy feeling that I gave my money to an evel company. :D

Polaris20 said:
I smell some steamy bullshit. PC's are just as stable as Macs, as long as you don't buy crap. Do you run a $399 Mac? No. So why expect a $399 PC to do the same job?

Still, you can spend the same amount of money on the cheapest Mac, and have a PC that will run circles around most Macs.

I'd be nicer if this same Apple propaganda crap hadn't already been spread here before.

I even like Macs.....but let's be realistic and provide accurate information here.

Alright...let me clear up the "Steamy air" a bit.

To be perfectly frank about my experience with Macs and PCs in recent years.

PCs and Macs can do just about the same thing. I'm not a computer god or anything, so I won't get scientific about it. However, the same response I get most of the time is that generally Macs are going to be more stable because of a simpler OS design. But when I say Mac I mean G5.

The main problem I have is that PC is the more popular medium currently, so PCs will recieve better and faster software support than Mac's will.

For example, thats why we carry both PCs and Mac's in the studio. When we can't get it on Mac, we get it for PC.

brummygit said:
hahahahahahahahahahahaha yeah, like hell they are! im a recent convert to a mac, and after having to wait on average 5-10 mins for my pc to fully load and shut the f*ck up and be ready for music, now im ready within a few mins......

PC's are great, but compared to at least 1 crash per session on the PC with only 1 since i first ever got a mac, i think that pleases me somewhat lots

Huh? 5-10 mins to boot? 1 crash per session?

Probably time to trade the 486

topolino said:
what's the verdict, kids? Macintosh or IBM-compatible? Or something else?

there's quite a few factors, a main one for me being price.

if this has already been addressed, someone do me the kindness of directing me to such info

thanks

I use both platforms. And dabble with Linux rarely.

If you're a complete computer noob - get a Mac and you start off with GarageBand to get you up and running quick and easy.

If you're familiar with Windows, and have friends that use Windows (with whom you can turn to for help), stick with the PC.

Figure out your needs and spec a computer that will work for you.
You won't need an uber-AMD box or G5 to do basic multitracking. But if you plan on running a lot of virtual instruments and go heavy on the fx, then you should plan accordingly.

Bulls Hit said:
Huh? 5-10 mins to boot? 1 crash per session?

Probably time to trade the 486

I've worked with both, in recording and in other things. After all that I will never get a mac. I was running win 98 for the longest time, and it did crash alot. just installed 2k and I love it. No problems with drivers no crashing nothing. I would say pc. And id just like to add this. my friend and i had to of these mac's hooked up to a network (doing school work), and his mac crashed ever 5 min, not joking it was that worst thing i have ever seen.

Back