Mac or PC? Not a vote

I'm not interested in arguments here as I have been using both Mac & PC for about 10 years.

I'm thinking about going to a Mac for my studio.

I want to go Pro Tools and I'm looking for the cost of anyone who has done the same.

I want a G5, audio interface for recording up to 16 tracks, mixer...

Anyone else doing something similar?

Prefer a PC for this type of working environment.

Thanks Folks!

You looking to go full blown HD rig or an LE setup? Either can do 16 channels one will last you life the other well... (not a knock against it really I've got an 002)

An HD rig will cost you about eight thousand for the HD core card, and about 5 thousand for a 192 with an A/D expansion card for a total of 16 ins and 8 outs. Then If you want a controll surface...

An LE setup will be about $2000 for the Digi002 then another $2500 for a nice 8ins/8outs adat lightpipe converter. that would give the Digi002 16 ins 16 outs with 4 of the ins being digi pres. The final track cound could be extened on the 002 to 18ins/18outs by adding in a spdif converter.

Then you still need a computer and if you are going with an apple G5 this will set you back at least three grand.

Hope that helps.

>>AG

There are a few different Pro Tools setups you can go with-

HD-A Digidesign 192 I/O (your I/O interface, an Digidesign HD interface of some sort is required to run Pro Tools, and if you want to run the newest versions of Pro Tools you will need the latest HD interfaces) runs about $3,999 and the Analog Output expansion card (If you want more ins or outs, you can get an Analog Input expansion or Output) is about $1,200. You still need to get the Core card (comes with the software), and for an HD1 rig that runs about $8,000. So with one 192 with one of the upgrade cards and an HD1 system, you're looking at about $13,200 total. Tack on another $3,000 if you were to go with an HD 2 Accel rig with one core card and an accel card. You can run two 192 I/O's off of one card, so if you want more I/O, you need to buy more interfaces.

LE-There are a few currently supported interfaces for an LE system. Again, one of these is required to work with the Pro Tools LE software.

Digi 002-Firewire touch sensative 8 fader control surface with 4 mic pres with phantom power, 8 analog ins and 8 outs, 8 channels of ADAT Optical I/O, and 2 channels of S/PDIF I/O. It also has one MIDI in and two MIDI out ports. Standard package runs about $2,200 (software is included).

Digi 002R-The rack unit version of the 002. Same features but minus the control surface. Runs about $1,200 (software included).

M Box 2-4 ins (2 Analog, 2 S/PDIF, 2 1/4" outs), 1 MIDI in and 1 MIDI out. Runs about $450.

M-Powered-Pro Tools M-Powered is almost the same as LE, but uses supported M-Audio interfaces. The software runs around $300, and you need to purchase an interface.

For what it looks like you want to do, you're going to have to buy some extra hardware if you go LE. For HD, if you want 16 analog inputs you need one 192 I/O with an Analog In expansion card. If you want more inputs and outputs, you need to buy another 192 with an analog out expansion card to give you 24 ins and 24 outs.

As for running a Mac or PC, Pro Tools will work great on both. Mac's are going to give you way less compatability issues, and with PC's you have to make sure what kind of components you have. Digidesign has the compatability list/recommended machines on their website.

ChadAustin said:
Prefer a PC for this type of working environment.

Since this is your preference, why not go with it? :)

You'll spend more on the Mac hardware than you would the PC counterpart. I'm a 1000% Mac user at home as a music and DJ hobbyist, but I have a PC available if needed. As already stated, the ProTools set up will be the same regardless of the type of computer you use.

My question is, why ProTools?

PS

Gosh! Thanks for all the posts folkses!

The reason I'm interesed in ProTools is only because it seems so attractive.

Although I have a very nice set-up at home, my band got to work with a ProTools Guru in a million dollar facility.

We used the HD version, everything state-of-the-art, of course. Room tuned, every mic known to the Engineering world. It was wonderful!

I know once the sound is digitized, software doesn't matter as much.

However, I've been involoved with computer graphics, multimedia, etc. for about 10 years. The software standards usually are the standards for a reason. That being said, I using that idealogy for choosing ProTools.

But I haven't made my choice yet :)

Pro Tools HD setups can certainly get pretty expensive. It sounds like you already have a PC but are considering buying a mac. Nothing wrong with that if you can afford it and if you were to want to use Mac specific software. However, there are some options that really haven't been mentioned here yet. First, there are many HD setups out there that run just fine on a PC right now. Some would even say better, but I don't really want to start that debate here.

What I was thinking is that maybe you should see how close your PC is to the Digidesign specs. If you can make your PC work with just minimal investments, that would save you probably $2500 to start with if you are going the Pro Tools HD route. If down the road you decide you need the MAc, then you get it and you are no worse off. By starting with the PC, you just run the risk of not having to spend a bunch of money. The worst case scenario there is that you spend what you had initially planned:D

Also, with HD you no longer have to buy only Digidesign hardware. You can now buy the Apogee X series and add the X-HD cards and they will communicate directly wioth your HD core cards. The Apogee boxes are about the same price as the Digidesgin boxes, but then you have to add the HD card to them so in the end they end up costing about $400 more, but then you have a nice Apogee front end:) I have seen HD-1 packages used for as low as about $3000 for just the card, and $4500 with at least one Digidesign box. This means that you could get into an 8 in 8 out HD system for about $6500, and the Apogee would still be fully warrantied. Add another $3500 to that and you could have 24 channels of Apogee inputs, and and 8 channels of Apogee outputs by buying an HD-1 (used) and a Rosetta 800x with an HD card, and an AD16x with an HD card. I know it sounds expensive, but for an HD system with that kind of power, $10k is a pretty low price. Thats about $3200 less than the suggestion above (which was not a bad suggestion, but many people aren't aware of how the Apogee HD cards work yet) to get more (and in my opinion better) I/O. That does also mean buying your HD card used though. In any case, the new Digidesing hardware is actually pretty nice, but I would still prefer the Apogee route.

Now, another option would be to go with LE. You could start with a 002R for about $1200, add an Apogee 800x and your whole investment there would be about $4200. After a while you could then make the decision to move up to HD. By then, used prices will be even lower on HD cards. This way you would have a smaller startup investment, still have the Apogee, and be able to take more time to see if you really need HD or not. Also, you could take the 002 and your Apogee out for remote recordings with a laptop or something and not have to worry about toting your whole HD rig around if you do decide to move up to HD.

There really are a lot of options even just within the Pro Tools world. At least a lot more options than there were 5 years ago. Personally, the only reason I am considering adding an HD rig to my own setup is because of how many clients ask if I have Pro Tools. The sad thing is that most of them don't even know that Pro Tools is actually a specific piece of software. Many of them think that Pro Tools is the term for all DAW type setups. In the end though, the cost of an HD rig might even out with being able to advertise it. However, other apps like Cubase/Nuendo and Digital Performer are becoming more and more accepted every day, and the names are becoming more recognized.

May I suggest one thing. If you buy a MAC (Power Mac by the sounds of it) wait until the new Power Macs are released with the intel chips cause then you won't lose support.

You know something, those are all the wrong reasons to learn protools.

Bottom line is that once you understand computer based sequencing, software is software (with some differences) and you have to go with what your productive with. That being said, PT LE is not something you can dive right into (LE since I assume you don't have 10 grand to drop on HD Digi hardware or the 100 grand to drop into a space worth using it in).

Start small, Maudio hardware, M-Powered if you insist on PT but it will also run with about anything (unlike PT LE Hardware). It allow you to get into sequencing and more importantly recording which are skills you kinda need to build first. Garageband, Ntrak, traktion are all great sequencers that will ease your way into PT. There is nothing worse than drop several grand into hardware then having it sit idle while you figure out how to use it. Once you are comfortable in a package, it is worth looking at the bigger packages and finding one that suits you and your type of music. I'm a midi person, my world is synths and drum machines, I use cubase on PC. I would like to use Logic if I didnt hate Macs and if I ever got around to fixing my Atari ST, I would use that for tracking then bounce into something else to deal with the audio stuff.

The idea is get some decent hardware and get cooking with the beginner stuff. Its a small investment and a REALLY GOOD IDEA since it will get you making music alot faster than a super complex rig that will take you months to figure out. A friend of mine did that, they are still lost 6 months later

Back on topic... Mac or PC, it probably does not matter. Macs cost more money. Go with what your comfortable with OS wise(meaning knowing how to service it), if your not that comfortable with either, go with the mac. Get a good one (G5 at least) or wait till the intel based ones come out which should be in the summer. For PC Dual core AMDs or Intels on good stable motherboard with premium memory

Let's face it: some of the very best plugins are for Pro Tools only, and most of those are available for even M-Powered rigs. I can definitely see the benefit to going to a Pro Tools rig for those reasons alone, even though I'm very happy with my Sonar set up.

As for PC vs. Mac, I believe that PC rigs are less expensive, so if you need to save money, go for a PC. Also, if you want to play Quake 4 on it ;)

Lance135 said:
As for PC vs. Mac, I believe that PC rigs are less expensive, so if you need to save money, go for a PC. Also, if you want to play Quake 4 on it ;)

Hey, you can play Quake 4 on a Mac come early '06! ;)

I have to agree with altitude now that you've stated "why" you want to go with PT Chad. Because it "seems so attractive" is not a reason to spend the investment into any PT setup unless you know this WILL work for you.

Now is the time to demo all the recording goodies at your finger tips. Demos are your best friend so take advantage of them. If you didn't actually "use" PT at this million dollar facility, how do you know if you'll like it? If it's efficient? If there is a steep learning curve???

I've heard recordings on Roland VS recorders that did NOT sound as good as recordings done in PT. So, some "standards" I don't always follow and a great sound doesn't always come from a PT setup.

Good luck with your selection!

PS

Those are good points, and I thank you all. You folks are incredible with your responses... I wished you lived close by so we could all meet and compare notes. You guys sound like you know what is going on... good for you!!!!

I've been using the VS-1880, in conjunction with TLAudio Preamps and a very nice mic selection that I acquired, over the last few years.

Before we did the session in the "big, expensive studio"... which was at ASU in Boone, NC, USA... we did full pre-production of everything.

The engineer who was pro-tools savvy was a fellow named Lorne Bregister (Colorado Sounds)... won a Grammy working with some of D'angelo's folks. He really was good. I've been an engineer for years and still, I learn from everyone... including Lorne (although he doesn't know how to return a phone call for shit- sorry Lorne!).

Lorne was showing us all the ropes of ProTools and I loved. it.

The aspect I want to exploit about the VS-1880 is that I had to play our drummer a section of the song we were recording in front of Lorne (because our drummer was too stupid & lazy to do his homework) and Lorne started drilling me with questions: "where did you do that?"... and "that's your studio?"

My point here is that it's all in how you use it.

I have no doubt that PT is a better system.

But I can do work that rivals it on my VS-1880.

Now you get into the question of song writing: "Does anyone really want to hear what you're doing?" ha ha

As much as I want to be the next John Mayer or Sting or Dave Mathews.... I have to concede that our songs may not be ready for that.

But then I hear all that stupid shit on the radio and think "why the hell not?" ha ha...

I bet half the people on this forum are better than what I hear on the radio.

I wish us all the success in the world on here because the folks on here seem to actually care about what they're doing! :)

OK... I'm going to finish my bottle of wine and go to sleep now. It's damn cold outside.

You had me at "dude... "

chad

www.thelogicmusic.com
www.chadaustin.com

Back