Mac external drive

KyleAtGalaxy

Dedicated newb
I'm new to macs. I was previously using a dell and a my book external drive to save my sessions on. After connecting the Mybook to my mac, I get the message that I can't record or playback audio from Mybook because my external drive is not recognized as an audio drive. ( I was unable to change from transfer only to record and playback. hmm. Does my external drive need to be formatted or something? Or am I supposed to find a hard drive that is compatible with a macbook or something like that? This is all very new and confusing to me. And frustrating. I've been searching the net and the bbs and I can't figure out a straight answer. Any direction would be greatly appriciated. Thank you guys so much.

Presumably the hard drive is formatted in NTFS (new technology file system) which is Window's preferred formatting.

Macintosh uses HFS (heirarchical file system) and HFS+. You would need to format the drive to HFS+ (or indeed FAT but I'd recommend HFS+) in order to use it with a Mac. Though Mac can read NTFS it cannot write to it natively.

To format the drive you would need to use the "Disk Utility" programme by going to Applications>Utilities (I think - I'd check but I'm on a PC right now). Be sure to back up everything on the drive you want to keep (using a Windows system).

Good luck, if you have any more problems then post again.

Also, ProTools, PC or MAC, does not seem to like FAT32 volumes and will refuse to use it as an audio drive. I have a myBook and ran into the same issue. Please, someone correct me if I am wrong.

Back