M69TG & M400 (soundstar mkII)

paddyponchero

Hi,

I have a couple of M400s on the way from germany, tempted by them after lots of comparison to the SM7. I also had my eye on a couple of M69TG mics but now looking at the specs they seem very similar to the M400 - anyone have both? Is it worth getting the M69s too?

Thanks

Paddy

I've got both and the M69 is more about warm mids but still pretty clear. The M88 is the one I'm lusting after.

TNO said:
I've got both and the M69 is more about warm mids but still pretty clear. The M88 is the one I'm lusting after.

Thanks, I guess I should hold out for an M88, heard one on sax a couple of nights ago - WOW!

paddyponchero said:
Thanks, I guess I should hold out for an M88, heard one on sax a couple of nights ago - WOW!

Somebody stop me in the last couple of weeks I got,
1 x EV RE15
1 x EV RE10
2 x EV RE18
2 x Beyer M400
1 x Beyer Soundstar X1
Just got
1 x Beyer M88
I only have a part time job, I'm completely hooked. Is there a gearslutz anonymous group cause I need one?

The M88 has more bottom than the M69 and the hi end is a tad more silky.
Both the M69 and M88 are very rejective, so in a 'recording band at once' situation, these are probably one of the best mics to use the more because they have a nice off axis response.

But a M88 on sax? I used a M88 on sousaphone lately, together with a Senny MD441. The 441 was much smoother, the 88 has too much 'crack' for that.

I've never experienced a bad Beyer mic though.

Han said:
The M88 has more bottom than the M69 and the hi end is a tad more silky.
Both the M69 and M88 are very rejective, so in a 'recording band at once' situation, these are probably one of the best mics to use the more because they have a nice off axis response.

But a M88 on sax? I used a M88 on sousaphone lately, together with a Senny MD441. The 441 was much smoother, the 88 has too much 'crack' for that.

I've never experienced a bad Beyer mic though.

Don't mention the 441 - that'll be the next thing on my overdraft :p

Well it might have been an M69 - I couldn't see if the top of the grille was flat or rounded but it sounded great - the guy was palying van morrison style sax which isn't averse to a bit of crack

Last edited:
I had a line on an M88 for about £100 a while back ... the more I think about it the more I wish I could've afforded it!

Nice scores Paddy.
Your X1, if it's up to specs, will sound like an expensive ribbon BTW.
And the M88 on many singers, will rival the "Neumanns" IMHO.

Never A/B'd the 441 and M88 directly but...

Been said that "you only need a pair of 441's to make a fine sounding album"-as long as you've got the AE chops.

Chris

chessparov said:
Nice scores Paddy.

Been said that "you only need a pair of 441's to make a fine sounding album"-as long as you've got the AE chops.

Chris

Hi Chris,
The 441s go for spectacular money used, I might sell of a few bits and pieces I'm not using and get a pair, then again if I just worked half the hours I spend on ebay I'd have enough money to buy about 10 pairs ... but that sounds like work :p

The X1 has no holder so I got it cheap, I have a universal shock-mount that should hold it - it arrived today but its at my parents house and I can't collect it till tuesday - delivery dudes can never find my new house :(

All my family get so many packages that when I lived in the city and wasn't home the delivery guy would try my brothers house, parents house and the local pub :D I got the UPS guy a christmas present this year he's been so good!

chessparov said:
Nice scores Paddy.

Chris

So finally got to try out the X1 properly, very nice sound on guitar and my vocals. Going to try it on fiddle during the week. The switch is a bit dodgy - I might wire it into one position - not too sure how to get it out without breaking it though.

My M88 never arrived, it was sent registered post from france and vanished along the way. The seller in France has put in a claim so I'll get my money back, still prefer the mic :(

Han said:

I saw the same group again and it was an M69 on the sax ;)

Just to temp tou further ...... I recently picked up a used 441 and L.O.V.E. !!!! this mic.

It sounds good on snare, toms, guitar cabs, vocals, bass cabs, room mic, hand percussion.

I am definitely looking for another.

I have an M69 (and M500 ribbon) and its good especially if you need a lot of rejection ..... its got a very tight pattern...... it is a little "dull" though, but pretty good detail.

Get a 441 and you wont regret it.

-mike

Back