M30 reverb question

Roozter

I've read as many threads on as many sites as I can, but does anybody have a straight answer on whether or not its possible to have one reverb unit supply reverb to each channel, and could you control the amount of reverb on each channel as well? How could you do this with say a Space Echo?

Does anybody have some wacky patching ideas on how to achieve that? I want to have some echo on the drums, but a ton on guitar, none on bass, ect.

You can do that by making use of the green knob sub mix section on the right side of the board, switching the selector switch to the POST position which will make that section behave as an effects send would work. The submix output jacks would feed the reverb/echo processor's inputs and then reverb/echo's outputs would feed into the 1 & 2 buss' cascade inputs so that you can add your effects to your mixdown stage. Each green knob, 1-8 will correspond to the 8 tracks on the mixer and tape recorder so that you can dial in the desired amount of effect on each channel/instrument.

Also, because that SUBMIX section is stereo, you can also do some cool mixing tricks with a true stereo reverb echo unit such as having the effect on one channel and the original dry signal on the opposite one so that you can create some very dramatic effects, Or just leave the pan pots at the center position for a more conservative mono effect.

Got the picture?

Cheers! :)

You can do that by making use of the green knob sub mix section on the right side of the board, switching the selector switch to the POST position which will make that section behave as an effects send would work. The submix output jacks would feed the reverb/echo processor's inputs and then reverb/echo's outputs would feed into the 1 & 2 buss' cascade inputs so that you can add your effects to your mixdown stage. Each green knob, 1-8 will correspond to the 8 tracks on the mixer and tape recorder so that you can dial in the desired amount of effect on each channel/instrument.

Also, because that SUBMIX section is stereo, you can also do some cool mixing tricks with a true stereo reverb echo unit such as having the effect on one channel and the original dry signal on the opposite one so that you can create some very dramatic effects, Or just leave the pan pots at the center position for a more conservative mono effect.

Got the picture?

So, I basically treat the space echo like my master machine? But instead of sending the output of the echo to the submix in, it goes to the 1st and 2nd buss?

So I guess I would click the 1st matrix button on my desired track, hit post to run it through the buss, in to the corresponding submix channel, and control the amount of signal with the submix knob. Is that right? And where would I connect my master machine at this point?

So, I basically treat the space echo like my master machine? But instead of sending the output of the echo to the submix in, it goes to the 1st and 2nd buss?

So I guess I would click the 1st matrix button on my desired track, hit post to run it through the buss, in to the corresponding submix channel, and control the amount of signal with the submix knob. Is that right? And where would I connect my master machine at this point?

Yes, all correct.

Your stereo mastering deck line inputs would get connected to the 1 & 2 program buss output jacks. If that means you have to temporarily unplug the 1 & 2 program buss outs that are feeding your multitrack, so be it.

Newer, higher end versions of your mixer such as the M308 offers dedicated effect send and return controls which would feed the dedicated stereo outs that would feed a mastering machine. Your mixer is a bit more primitive, functionality-wise and so you have to do odder patches as described here to get it to do this task.

I actually don't use the buss/matrix system to send to the multitrack (80-8). I run all mics in xlr and send each channel individually to the multitrack from the direct outs and send it back through the tape ins for mixdown to the 2 track through the sumbix outs, which went back in to the submix ins, obviously.

So seeing as I don't use the program buss section for anything, I shouldnt have an issue with monitoring/recording to the two track while I've also got the 80-8 and echo patched in? Because from what you said, without re-patching I could only control reverb to all channels while recording TO the 80-8. At least with how I have my multitrack hooked up. Unless of course what you're implying is that my 1 and 2 buss literally became my "new" submix out since the left channel would hook to one and right to the other. All that would need to be done is hook up the outs of the 2 track to whatever it is I'm monitoring off of.

My head is about to explode, but its all starting to make sense. Gotta love the m30. Thanks for the help ghost, as far as I can see I only really need to change the way I monitor the 2 track, which should be a piece of cake.

Yeah, if you're using the direct outs on the channel strips of the M30 to feed the 8 inputs on your 80-8, then there's no concern about re-patching anything for mixdown. I just assumed you used the 4 program buss outputs to feed your 80-8 as that is more the norm if you're recording by yourself or with only one or two other people live.

About heads exploding, it shouldn't be all that complicated to comprehend once you know where the signals can flow through your mixer by visualizing it as road map...at least that's how I do that in my mind to keep the signal flow possibilities straight.

Yeah, if you're using the direct outs on the channel strips of the M30 to feed the 8 inputs on your 80-8, then there's no concern about re-patching anything for mixdown. I just assumed you used the 4 program buss outputs to feed your 80-8 as that is more the norm if you're recording by yourself or with only one or two other people live.

About heads exploding, it shouldn't be all that complicated to comprehend once you know where the signals can flow through your mixer by visualizing it as road map...at least that's how I do that in my mind to keep the signal flow possibilities straight.

I think the matrix/buss/submix can get confusing sometimes. That's my only gripe with it. I assume in the 80s the layout of the board made more sense, but by today's standards it could have been cleaned up and simplified, while still keeping the nice warmth and flexibility it has. Its definitely primitive, but the m30 does have some strong points that come from that.

Back