M147 v M 149

Jerry W

The Neuman M 149 is supposed to be the heir apparent for the U47. So, what then would is the difference between the M147 and the M149 besides about $1,000.00.

It is really hard to find out accurate information on the different models of microphones since I cannot translate techno-speak into english and, most peoples opinions are too subjective to use as a guide. Nevertheless, if anyone has had experience with these two microphones, speak up.

By the way, I am sure there must be some difference between the two. I suppose the real question is whether or not that difference will matter with the application I will use it for which, I might add, would be vocals and almost only vocals except for the possible acoustic guitar here or there.

One other thought I had was this. I read an interview with a "top" engineer regarding recording vocals. Other than the usual vintage mics you would expect, the only modern mic this particular engineer used was the M149. That said, I would imagine that the M149 will, in 20 or so years, be considered "vintage" and thus the price is justified by the fact that the mic could very well increase in value.

I'm not in a position to compare the 2 directly, since I only have a pair of 149s. I Decided to pass on the 147 after everyone I talked to who HAD compared the 2 said that the 149 was a much better mic. If you're looking for the vintage U47 flavor for vocals, however, I would recommend the Soundelux E47. I have A/Bed it with the 149 and would pick it first for most voices.

Scott

Well, aside from being different mics, the M 149 is a multi-pattern mic. Much more useful, in my opinion. I got to use one when they were just coming out, and I must say, the 149 is a great mic.

It is based on the M 49, not the U 47, BTW. The two major differences (as I recall) are the lack of a transformer in the M 149, and the voltage to the tube. In the M 49 the tube was driven quite hard. In the M149 it is kept at a more reasonable operating level. It does not get as hot, and it lasts longer. It also does not sound the same. But of course, without the transformer, it wouldn't anyways.

At any rate, I like the 149, but I have not tried the 147. I just really like multi pattern mics.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

I don't own either, but I've had the chance to use an M149 and liked it. A lot of other people like it too, although you can find some that don't.

On the other hand, I've never met anyone who really likes the M147. I was hoping that it was going to be a carioid only version of the M149, but no such luck apparently.

The 147 is quite dark sounding mic, not too useful on any vocals I tried it with, actually I liked it as a kick mic......

Amund

Thank you all for the replies, I hope you re-visit this thread so that you can read this thank you. I had also decided the 149 would be a wiser purchase becuase once spending in that range, it really makes no sense to nickel and dime on savings. It makes more sense to get the real deal since it will undoubtedly do a better job and as a bonus, retain more of its value.

In the meantime, I will also look into the Soundelux E47. I did read one review and I think it was for the E47 though I will check again. That review kind of panned the mic for vocals saying that it was too dark and would not work well with most vocals, particularly "squishy" (or something like that) type vocals. I took it to mean vocals that are heavy in the midrange. I guess that is also why so many of the cheaper vocal mics have a scooped midrange so that the mid heavy vocals of most singers sound clearer and more "toneful".

Again, thanks.

In my opinion one of the great "bargains" in the $2000+ mic universe is the Lawson L47mp. It might be worth checking out before you pull the trigger.

I'd vote for the 149

Having used both, I'd have to say that I like the M149 much better then the 147.
To my ears, which many here have questioned (see "two hi-hat mic technique") the 147 sounds like someone has places a sock over the microphone. Keep in mind that this is in comparison to the 149. If one was to a-b the 147 and a Sure 57 on vocals or acoustic guitar, the 147 would more than likely prevail.

Just my 2 cents.

Jamie

But that is the point. When someone says that one mic is "better" it is a relative term. better than what. the 149 is "better" than the 147 and also more than $1,500.00 cheaper. However, if compared to say a Rode NTK, what then would the prevailing wisdom be?

Therein lies the rub. Ltimately, it is simply a question of dollars and cents. Can one afford the top of the line. If not, what compromise will suit their needs or, more precisely, not subvert their goals?

It is becuase of these questions that I find myself simply wanting to take the money one time, buy the absolute best I can afford and be done with it...for now (ha).

The sad fact is that neither the 147 or the 149 come anywhere near the same feel / quality of a vintage 47.
They look good, and that factor plus the name is something a lot of commercial studios consider when purchasing one of the above mics, basically a psychology factor.

When evaluating a bunch of mics for the studio here we did a bunch of blind tests with good mics (soundelux, sony, brauner, akg, lawson, neumann), the 147 came in a firm last place, it simply didn't have any "sparkle", "magic" name it what you like, it sounded dull.

The most interesting mic tested were the two Lawsons, the 47, a supposed U47 sound-alike, and the 251, a reproduction of one of the best mics ever created, the Telefunken Elam 251. In the blind tests all people involved favored the Lawson 47 over the Soundelux 47, and after that I put the two mics up with my vintage 47. This time there was a split decission between the vintage 47 and the Lawson.

The other interesting thing was the the Lawson 251 also sounded like the original, but with certain settings it also could extract the characteristics of our vintage AKG C12, the latter being a lot better than AKG's new and very expensive C12.

In conclusion, before you even consider spending a load of money, try the Lawsons, save thousands, and get better mics. We bought them, I'm just in the process of buying another matched pair, all clients love the sound (and the looks), and thusfar they have performed flawlessly.

The M-149 shares only the head grill assembly with the original M-49... but the 'wire mesh' of the grill is no where near as open as that of the original M-49.

The original M-49 head grill assembly lent itself to the least amont of acousticly born 'intermodulation distortion' of any microphone ever produced [IMNTLBFHO, one of the 3 best microphones Neumann ever produced]... which gives it a detail and a clarity that remains pretty much unrivaled to this day.

The M-149 is an interesting sounding mic... but has about as much to do with an original M-49 as a new Corvette has to with a '69 Corvette.

The M-147 is at best an inexpensive alternative to the U-47 FET's of yesteryear. The 47FET, while being an excellent kik drum mic, does very nicely on a bass amp, and a few other 'instrument oriented' applications is often far too 'boxy' sounding for the majority of vocal applications. Sometimes you will run into a singer that couples well with the 47 FET or the M-147... but in my experience those instances are few and far between.

I hope this is of some assistance.

Back