M Box 2 Pro Tools LE Problem!! Help!!

P Stew

alright, i just got an M Box 2 with Pro Tools LE...i installed everything, hooked up everything and began recording, an noticed i gotta turn the mic gain on the M Box all the way up to hear myself a little, i dont think its right, and i cant seem to use the M Box to play things in other audio places on my comp, like Windows Media Player....someone please help me

what type of mic are you trying to use with the mbox? also make sure that the mic/line switch on the mbox has mic selected. need some more specifics before I can narrow it down much.

got a Shure KSM 27...everythings plugged in right...got the mic thing checked off...the phantom power button is on...i dont know what it is...but the volume is too lowww

yeah that KSM should definately not require all of the gain in the preamp. double check the mic/line switch and the phantom power switch. also check if you are getting good signal from a line level device such as a guitar or keyboard.

i dont have a keyboard or guitar...i do hip hop...only record vocals here....and yes all the switches are right on the M Box...im startin to think its something in Pro Tools

could be that the input source on the track you are trying to record to is incorrect and you are experience the bleed between the channels. make sure that the track you are trying to record on has the input that the mic is plugged into selected. also make sure the track is armed and that auto input monitoring selected.

well since pro tools is up and running we know that the mbox is communicating ok with it. have you tried actually recording and seeing if you get any levels. also check your input/outputs to make sure they are configured correctly. go to digidesigns website and get the protools reference manual to read up on monitoring and the input output settings.

well if everything above is working and correctly configured it probably means something is broken. bad mic, bad mbox, etc... I would try swapping mxbox channels, reboot computer, new session, etc... just to double check everything. go through and read the protools getting started guide to make sure you get all the bases covered. protools can have a steeper learning curve than some of the other recording programs.

You have the "mic thing checked off"??
are you saying that you have it set to line??? It needs to be set to mic

also, are you plugging in via XLR or 1/4"?

P Stew said:
alright, i just got an M Box 2 with Pro Tools LE...i installed everything, hooked up everything and began recording, an noticed i gotta turn the mic gain on the M Box all the way up to hear myself a little, i dont think its right, and i cant seem to use the M Box to play things in other audio places on my comp, like Windows Media Player....someone please help me

What is an "m box 2"?

ya i finally got it working...i messed with some stuff an gotta turn the knob almost all the way but i got it working....but i seem to be gettin latency on my monitoring in my headphones as i record..?? how do i fix that..on the digidesign site it says Zero Latency..so maybe i got to do somethign PT?

in order to get minimum latency from the mbox you need to have the low latency monitoring option on, but like mindset said, using some sort of headphone amp with a mic input will allow you to have direct monitoring. pro tools latency depends on your computer and how much data you are trying to push through the mbox.

also i cant seem to set my M Box to be used to record things in other programs like Magix and Cool Edit...which i use too?

i also can play anything Windows Media Player through it to?

P Stew said:
my question is where is the low latency monitoring?

im a little lost...thanks

Turn down the hardware buffer size down to 128 samples or 256 samples, dependin on what you're computer can handle. you'll probably find that once you start mixing, PT wil require you to increase the buffer size. But for recording, get it as low as possible.

Also, the "mix" knob on your M-box lets you select how much of the microphone input and how much of the PT output you're hearing, so if you set it mostly to the mic you'll lessen the latency problem.

Back