m-audio vs mbox 2

sewellnc

i can't make up my mind about if i should buy the mbox 2 which comes with protools and is usb powered...or if i should buy the m audio interface and then buy cubase software because i have heard bad things about the cubase software, however i also heard the protools that comes with the mbox 2 isnt all that special either...so any suggestions?

I suspect either would do what you want them to do and any differences in sound quality would be negligible (bearing in mind that Protools LE and the associated hardware is an entirely different beast to the 'proper' PT rigs they have in the bigger studios).

I used an M Audio interface (Delta 1010LT) with Cubase for several years and was very happy.

With pro tools you're a bit more tied in to their hardware, that always put me off. With M Audio and cubase you could pick and choose the number of ins outs on your interface and any other features you need. If it just so happens that the Mbox has all the features you need (and your requirements won't change for a good while) then I guess it's an even contest in that respect.

I'd also rather have a PCI or firewire interface than USB.

Of course lots of people use MBoxes and are very happy, it just depends if you're willing to give up some flexibility just so you can say "I gotz protools". :D

I'd consider Reaper for software, loads cheaper than Cubase and it's feature packed.

http://www.cockos.com/reaper/

I have an MBOX (1) that came with ProTools LE and the last time I used it I actualy was running Reaper NOT ProTools! I had to install ProTools anyway in order to recognize the device but I think I just used AISO4ALL in Reaper and there was the MBOX. I've only been evaluating Reaper for a short time but so far it is great software in my opinion. It has NEVER given me buffer error like ProTools used to.

It may be my system but the funny thing is that I've got a ton of RAM and everything from CPU to the extra Hard drive are all 'approved' for ProTools. The fact that Reaper works so well makes me think that ProTools is overly fussy. I second Kevin' suggestion regarding Firewire. I would probably go that route next time. It's probably worth a try.

Back