M AUDIO sucks! Not my words btw..

It avoids the latency issue, but not the 'Lag' issue. With .27 and previous drivers, a lag will be introduced into what you record no matter how you monitor...but this is all well documented earlier in the thread.

Doesn't the software have a adjustment somewhere to compensate for the 4-10 ms latency? Or do they just expect you to shift the track manually.

It's impossible to use a playback buffer without the recorded audio coming in at an offset. And it's impossible to play audio smoothly on non dedicated hardware (read PC) without an output buffer, however small.

It's surprising that this problem exists with such common hardware/application combinations. There may be no good way for either camp to deal with this, or they could have their respective backs up against the wall and are afraid that fixing the issue at their end is assuming responsibility in the public eye.

Well, the drivers should inform the audio app how much latency they are creating - the audio app will then automaticaly compensate. MAudio's WDM drivers, versions .27 and below, don't do this. The betas do, but one isn't low latency and the other is unstable.

bdemenil said:
but one isn't low latency and the other is unstable.

bdemenil, do you mean by this that the current standard driver isn't low latency but it's stable, and the beta driver is low latency but it's unstable (by its very beta nature)?

I have to say that I'm running the .29x12 beta under xp with an audiophile and it's just fine, although I don't use any ASIO apps - just wdm. Not one crash thus far.

The current standard driver (.27) is stable but has a serious flaw with recording offset in it's WDM component.

The consumer beta (.31) works fine, but doesn't support low latency.

The professional beta (.29) works for some people, but has reportedly crashed some systems (including my own).

You'd expect less than perfect stability from a beta, but you wouldn't think a seriously flawed driver (.27) would continue to be posted as the standard recommended driver.

I continue to do all my recording on the consumer beta (.31), the only one that works for me.

Hey I was just wondering if the newest delta drivers (.5051) fix the lag problem? I've using the delta .27 drivers for forever with ntrack v3.3 until the other day I witnessed the dreaded lag...

.51 Drivers

I switched to them last week, not that I had a problem with the old .29 drivers. But all 3 cards sync fine with 2ms latency at 44.1, buffers are set at 128 in cubase. No pops, no crackles.......Just like it's always been.

I think M-Audio are a great company

I don't know what everyone is talking about. I can record with my Delta 66, 1010lt, and my AP2496 at the same time with no problems what so ever.

I think M-Audio Caters to ASIO based software since the market for it is large and there are tonnes of VST plugins out there for free. Not all of them are great but VST really is a great thing IMHO. Not too many pro studio's using Sonar, but you will see Logic and Nuendo in a few. I've never had problems with my Delta card nor have I heard of any sync issues until now. At least not with ASIO based software. The Delta 66 and 1010 use a hardware connection for sync so it shouldn't be a problem.

Back