M-Audio Fast Track vs Focusrite Scarlett vs other

bronsonelliott

Hello everyone. First post!!

I am borrowing a friends M-Audio Fast Track (the basic entry model - not Pro) and it's working fine for my needs so far. But, I am wanting to get my own audio interface so I'd like to get everyone's opinion.

Should I stick with the M-Audio Fast Track or move to something different? I've read good things about the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, however, I've read a lot of posts about people having problems with clipping even with the gain turned down very low.

I will mostly be using it for recording my own bass lines on top of full band scratch tracks but it's also feasible that I would use it to record guitar, vocals, etc. Usually recording one track at a time.

Prefer USB just because it's usually less expensive and even though my current computer (iMac) does have firewire, not every computer does so if I wanted to use it at a friend's house, etc. I'd like it to be compatible.

Also, my Mac is using the latest operating system (Mountain Lion) so the drivers would need to be compatible. Looks like Focusrite has a compatible driver.

Thanks!

Back