M Audio Fast Track Pro | Shure SM 58

nishantgarg

Hi,

I have just got a M Audio Fast Track Pro USB Sound Card and a Shure SM 58 Dynamic Mic for recording Vocals at home in my laptop. Currently I am using Windows Vista and I face a bit compatibility issues with the M Audio FTP in Vista. My friends suggest me to shift to Windows XP. Will that solve the problem?

Currently I cannot choose M Audio as device for recording in Adobe Audition and a error comes when I plug in the sound card through USB. Someone please help me and also guide me.

Thanks...

Note: Reinstalling Sound card drivers did not solve the problem.

I don't know why but sometimes switching USB ports helps.

I know nothing of VIsta, but XP seems to have most bugs worked out.
I made the mistake of going to XP-64 (another short lived Microsoft blunder they ran away from quickly, going to Vista, another problematic they are running away from quickly to "7"!!!!...:rolleyes:)

You been to site and updated everything, I assume?

Need Help With Recording Techniques.

I have shifted to Windows XP and now I am not facing any kind of driver problems with the sound card. Now I want to know about techniques of recording vocals. I have a Shure SM 58 Dynamic Mic which I am using for recording vocals but the track that gets recorded is in Mono form and very low volume. I have to convert it to stereo through Adobe Audition which is not that good and convinient always. The recorded track is in very low volume and increasing its volume through softwares spoils the recording's quality.

Do I change the software? I have Nuendo but I have no idea of how to use it. I also have a Amp, which I use with my guitar. I can also connect the Mic. into it. Will that help on increasing the recording's volume?

I have shifted to Windows XP and now I am not facing any kind of driver problems with the sound card. Now I want to know about techniques of recording vocals. I have a Shure SM 58 Dynamic Mic which I am using for recording vocals but the track that gets recorded is in Mono form and very low volume. I have to convert it to stereo through Adobe Audition which is not that good and convinient always. The recorded track is in very low volume and increasing its volume through softwares spoils the recording's quality.

Do I change the software? I have Nuendo but I have no idea of how to use it. I also have a Amp, which I use with my guitar. I can also connect the Mic. into it. Will that help on increasing the recording's volume?

If you have one mic, it's mono. If the track is stereo, the source is still mono, so switching to stereo does nothing for you.

The Fast Track has 40db of gain, so make sure you've got it all the way up and the pad switch if Off. Not familiar with Adobe Audition, but I'm sure your software is not causing you any volume level problems. You don't need to use your guitar amp, because the Fast Track Pro already has a Mic Pre-amp built in.

Be sure to read the manuals and also do searches here. Most of your questions have been answered already.

Welcome to the site.

Distortion

I am done with software issues. Now I want to focus more on the hardware... There is a slight unwanted distortion sound which can be heard through my sound card even before plugging in the Mic. How do I fix that?

I know Shure SM 58 is a nice mic but some room treatment is also required for better results. Incase I cannot treat my room and I want better results, what do I do? Will a Super Cardioid or Condenser Mic. fix the problem? Or is ther any way that I can create a Vocal booth acquiring very less space and can be made in minimum budget.

Back