M-Audio Fast Track II

guitargirl7

Does anyone know if you can use M-Audio Fast track, aka Fast Track II on different software other than PTSE (the software it came with?)

I'm also thinking of returning it due to possible problems starting from its source in the past. If anyone agrees that it would be smarter to look into buying a new interface, please let me know! (hopefully I'm using the correct terms here, as I am posting in the newbie section for a reason).

Thank you!

Last edited:
Yes. It works with any standard DAW that I know of.

Thanks! btw, I see that you're all the way from Australia... Before I die, I've always said I wanted to visit; it seems beautiful! Do you enjoy living in the " land down unda' "? haha :)

Yup! I love it here. I'm a boring old git who's taken early retirement and I actively chose to move down here. Today is a nice early winter day...about 21C/70F and sunny. Cheap local wine in the fridge for later after I barbeque dinner. Life is good!

Yup! I love it here. I'm a boring old git who's taken early retirement and I actively chose to move down here. Today is a nice early winter day...about 21C/70F and sunny. Cheap local wine in the fridge for later after I barbeque dinner. Life is good!

Wow, lucky you! I think you were lucky to grow up during an era where music was at its prime... The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Fleetwood mac... ect. Sounds like you've got something going for ya. Hopefully I'll be fortunate enough to retire elsewhere someday... :)

Yup, I'm contented!

Anyhow, back to your problem. The Fast Track MkII is an okay little interface as long as you don't need more than a single mic and a single instrument input. I often suggest to people that they consider the M Audio Mobile Pre (the second version btw..some of the orginals are still around so watch out) instead. It lists for only $30 more, probably even less difference with a street price. It has two mic inputs and 2 line level inputs that you can mix and match.

If you're having problems with the Fast Track MkII, the usual suggestion is to go to the M Audio site and download the latest ASIO drivers. There were some problems with the drivers a couple of years ago when Win7 first came out--these are long since fixed but there are still lots of old installation disks floating around.

Hope this helps!

Yup, I'm contented!

Anyhow, back to your problem. The Fast Track MkII is an okay little interface as long as you don't need more than a single mic and a single instrument input. I often suggest to people that they consider the M Audio Mobile Pre (the second version btw..some of the orginals are still around so watch out) instead. It lists for only $30 more, probably even less difference with a street price. It has two mic inputs and 2 line level inputs that you can mix and match.

If you're having problems with the Fast Track MkII, the usual suggestion is to go to the M Audio site and download the latest ASIO drivers. There were some problems with the drivers a couple of years ago when Win7 first came out--these are long since fixed but there are still lots of old installation disks floating around.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the recommendation; I'll definitely look into it!

Yes, you can use it with any daw as mentioned before.

I had a lot of issues with my fast track when i had it. Alot of drop outs clicks and ticks. It didn't handle lower latency's all that well and after i updated it to the most recent driver for some reason it would just barf out this ungodly noise at me every 5 mins or so. So i said enough and upgraded to a line 6 product as i was using it mainly for Punk rock Guitars and stuff. It didn't have to be pretty lol.

Some people say that the fast track is a great starter interface. I would actually have to disagree with that. If anything it kind of discouraged me from the experience.

If i had to start from scratch again i would have saved up an additonal 100 - 150 bucks and got something with a bit more stability. A Presonus Product, Tascam or even a Line 6 sound card or the M-Audio Fast Track Pro has way more stability then just the fast track.

M-Audio products are for the most part the Fisher-Price of the Audio world. Some of their higher end stuff has decent work ability but the long and short of it there are some better newbie products out there.

Yes, you can use it with any daw as mentioned before.

I had a lot of issues with my fast track when i had it. Alot of drop outs clicks and ticks. It didn't handle lower latency's all that well and after i updated it to the most recent driver for some reason it would just barf out this ungodly noise at me every 5 mins or so. So i said enough and upgraded to a line 6 product as i was using it mainly for Punk rock Guitars and stuff. It didn't have to be pretty lol.

Some people say that the fast track is a great starter interface. I would actually have to disagree with that. If anything it kind of discouraged me from the experience.

If i had to start from scratch again i would have saved up an additonal 100 - 150 bucks and got something with a bit more stability. A Presonus Product, Tascam or even a Line 6 sound card or the M-Audio Fast Track Pro has way more stability then just the fast track.

M-Audio products are for the most part the Fisher-Price of the Audio world. Some of their higher end stuff has decent work ability but the long and short of it there are some better newbie products out there.

Thanks for the feedback, as I have been experiencing similar issues for the past few months with fast track. This otherworldly white noise appears and ruins each track I try to create. I’ve read many reviews on the product, and it seems I am not crazy, as many others have had the same issue. I’ve been searching for weeks trying to find a product that I can connect my guitar and sm57 to, and can’t seem to find an affordable product without a bad rating, and a gazillion bad reviews. Because you have experienced a similar misfortune with fast track, what would you recommend?

Thanks for the feedback, as I have been experiencing similar issues for the past few months with fast track. This otherworldly white noise appears and ruins each track I try to create. I’ve read many reviews on the product, and it seems I am not crazy, as many others have had the same issue. I’ve been searching for weeks trying to find a product that I can connect my guitar and sm57 to, and can’t seem to find an affordable product without a bad rating, and a gazillion bad reviews. Because you have experienced a similar misfortune with fast track, what would you recommend?

What is your budget ? What do you feel is affordable for you right now?

If you want to stay under the 200 dollar range you can get what you are after, but you still MAY run into similar issues with functionality, but i can almost assure 100% the white noise burps will go away.

So for something with a XLR input and guitar input for under 200 i personally would recommend you try one of the following:

Presonus Audio Box USB - click here It is a fairly decent step up from the Fast Track for a few more bucks, it has the two inputs both 1/4 inch and XLR, would suit your needs quite well. If i were to add another sound card to my collection it may not be this one but it would be from the Presonus family.

Line 6 UX1 click here - This has a 1/4" and XLR input for guitar and mic, but also comes with alot of Line 6 goodies like some amp modeling and stuff like that. I have a Line 6 Pod that i am really happy with and no complaints other then that it is sometimes difficult to get the modelers to not sound like a modeler!!

But that has no bearing on how the hardware itself works. Line 6 Is pretty solid and their support community is great.

Either one of these two is worth investigating i think. and they both retail here in Canada for any wheres between 140 to 160 bucks!

Just out of curioisty are you using your asio drivers when you are recording and playing back?

Back