M audio Fast Track 2 Clipping

CTB

Hi Everyone,

I'm recording using One Mic positioned next to the floor tom just under the ride cymbal. The cardioid mic is beamed level with the snare and Hats.

I'm having some issues with Drums and clipping on the fast tracks pre amp. Mostly the Kick.

I've done everything I can think of,
No effects, compression,,etc....
I have the XLR Line in basically a hair above off.
I get almost no input for the DAW input signal because the pre amp is so low.
Yet, the damn clip led still comes on, on the pre amp.

I've tried other mic positions as well.

Before I loose my mind, could it be that the M audio FT 2 just can't deal with high SPL's?

Help!

What kind of mic is it? There's a good chance you're overloading it.

Does it have a built in pad? If so, turn that on.
I see the fast track doesn't have a pad, so if the mic doesn't have one you're going to have to reconsider mic choice, or placement.

It may help, but it's not the way to solve the problem.

Computer effects won't make any difference. They overload is occurring at the mic, the preamp, or the converters.
Either way, it's before the computer.

Set the gain to 0 (which shouldn't be off).
If the led clip light still comes on, you need to try a different mic, move the current mic, or put a pad inline.

It may help, but it's not the way to solve the problem.

Computer effects won't make any difference. They overload is occurring at the mic, the preamp, or the converters.
Either way, it's before the computer.

Set the gain to 0 (which shouldn't be off).
If the led clip light still comes on, you need to try a different mic, move the current mic, or put a pad inline.

Sorry Steenamaroo,

I meant that the Mic itself unscrews and there is a High Pass Button on the circuit.
I realize that once its clipped at the pre there is nothing I can do to fix it after.
I think your right about Mic location. I'll just spend the day putting the mic allover the place to try and fin a sweet spot.

Thanks!

The Apex 435 looks specified to handle 140dB spl, which is reasonably high. I assume phantom power is engaged (should be for a condenser).

I looked at the docs for the Fast Track (don't have one), and the maximum mic input is specified as -1.8dBu with mic gain at minimum. That's about 0.63 V rms. As previously suggested, you could try an inline pad of -20dB or greater, which should tame the hot signal from the mic.

BUT... something still does not add up.

OP mentions that the clipping indicator on the Fast Track is lighting up, yet little signal is getting to the DAW? In that case, I would expect you to be getting a hot and distorted signal to the DAW?

Paul

Hey PRhunt,

Yes phantom is enabled.
As a check, the Mic works fantastic for vocals. No issues whatsoever.

I am using Logic 9 and have the Record input set to -20db on the Drums Channel strip.
I have the Fast Tracks XLR line out set just above off.
While I play the drums, I watch the Clip LED on the Fast track. It clips 90% of the time with a gentile kick to bass drum.
Sometimes the snare will set it off.

Now at the same time I am also watching the channel strip and the record levels. I peak around -6d with a good solid kick.
It doesn't appear to be distorted, but I'm concered nonetheless that the Pre IS clipping.

This Mic/Fast Track combo should NOT be clipping with it so far from the Drum head. (Really anywhere in the room) with the Line out barely turned on. I could see if it was half way up and I had the Mic inside the Kick.....

I don't know...

During tracking, you should always set your input levels by the hardware (preamp or whatever), and leave the software sliders at their 0dB position. You can use the sliders during mixing, after you have captured your sources.

If too much signal is going in to the Fast Track, then I would definitely try an external pad between your mic and the Fast Track. Try -20dB or more. These are not expensive.

If you're not familiar with the term, do a bit of a web search on gain staging.

Hope that helps.

Paul

Thanks Guys,

Yea I guess I will be needing a Pad. I wish I had the cash to just buy a another pre and a couple drum mics instead.
Always something....lol

Cheers, :thumbs up:

No. Unfortunantly all i have is the apex 435. I have no budget right now for anymore equiment. I have managed to limit the clippng on he pre to such a degree that it does not effect my sound quality noticable. Mic.placement was key. An inch here and there made all the difference.

Still think a pad is worth trying. Go to Naiant and look for the MPD Inline Attenuator. $13 plus postage.

But it's great that adjusting the mic position has made an improvement!

Paul

Back