M-Audio Delta 44 or USB M-Audio Mobile Pre.

funkoptimus

HELP!!M-Audio Delta 44 or USB M-Audio Mobile Pre.

Gear I am using:
Tascam 788 harddisk 8 track for recording drums. Imported to Traction for mixing. Now I need an interface to record vocals, guitar, bass etc.

First off as everyone else I want to get the best recording possible. I do most mixing on a home brew runnning XP older, Athlon 1800+ 512 Ram etc. I dont have Firewire. Will be adding more RAM.
I also have a Dell Inspirion 9300(newer) laptop.

USB M-Audio Mobile Pre:
I dont want to deal with latency with the USB setup but it is mobile and can be used with the laptop if needed. It also has a preamp built in. I dont have any pre's other than the bands Yamaha board and rigging something the Tascam. Neither that I want to do.

M-Audio Delta 44:
Will it minimize latency? Does the breakout box work well without an extra preamp. Can I plug in and record? It isnt mobile like the USB setup. Will it give a better recording?? It is 24 bit versus 16 bit on the USB. Will it play nice with my other sound card for music and or games.

Confused and a newbie. I also need to try to stick around the $100-$200 ball park. $150 being the sweet spot.

Last edited:
Don't ever mention the USB Mobile Pre again, haha, just kidding, I wouldn't mess with that at all, Delta 44 is kind of whatever. For 150.00 if your planning on sticking with M-Audio I'd recommend the Firewire Solo, it has a mic pre for vocals and an instrument input, I know you said you don't have firewire, but you can get a firewire pci card for 10.00 at Fry's or check out bensbargains.net or newegg.com. I'd say thats your best bet, so that way you don't have to buy an additional pre. The Delta 44 I don't believe has phantom power so you would need a pre, if thats the way your gonna go, I'd recommend the Presonus Tube Pre, for the money you can't beat it, check out some of my songs if you wanna demo what that tube sounds like on an AT 4033

www.myspace.com/ronnievoice

Ronnie-Thanx. Nope I am not sold on the M-wave. Jsut worked out that way when I was looking. Thanx for the reply. I will look into the options you mentioned.

Are Firewire cards pretty easy or are the finicky. Seems I heard they can be a pain. Also are their laptop options?

I had an Inspiron 9300 it should have a firewire connector, it will something like ilink or ie8338 something like that, its on the right side. You won't find the 6 pin connector. Its there though. Firewire cards work fine, don't know what you've heard, just make sure you have the latest service pack from microsoft, SP4, on SP2 the put a driver that limited firewire speed to 100mbps which is the same as USB 1.0 and sucks ass.

Back