M-Audio Delta 1010 vs 1010 LT

G. Simon

Hey -

After a decade of analog tape experience, I am planning a new home multitrack studio and I have a gear purchase question at the end of this post:

I plan to use my Tascam 8x4x2 mixing board for recording into a pc w/multitrack software via a sound card (or interface), but I am not sure which cards to seriously consider.

I am a guitar-based singer-songwriter who uses drum machine and lots of backing vocals. Very little if any MIDI/synth.

For my new projects, I plan to record only 1-2 tracks simultaneously, though I may someday expand to 3-4. No full-blown live bands, though.

For my old projects, I have a Tascam 8-track 1/2" tape recorder (from 1991) that I would like to attempt extracting my old analog tracks digitally and remixing them, either 'in the box' or through my mixer.

I have been steered toward the M-Audio Delta 1010, which sounds like a suitable piece for my needs. I know that there is a $200 difference between the 1010 and its 'LT' version. One difference is that the LT has pre-amps I don't need (since I have a mixer); how important is this? Another difference, I think, has to do with plug-in access/convenience.

Can anyone *please* comment/advise me on this before I slap plastic?

Thanx...

Well....the 1010 has a breakout box that separates the a/d conversion from the PCI, which is said to provide for a better conversion. Also, I think the converters in the 1010 are better.

Also, if you like the pre's in your mixer, I'd go for the 1010.

Well, I'd go for the 1010 anyway.... :D

the 1010 has balanced 1/4" inputs on the breakout box. most of the ins on the lt are unbalanced (RCA), & no breakout box.

scrubs said:
the 1010 has balanced 1/4" inputs on the breakout box. most of the ins on the lt are unbalanced (RCA), & no breakout box.

Balanced connectors (and thus the 1010) have lower noise floor. While not as noticible over 1 or 2 tracks, will certainly be noticed over 8 or 16. Likewise, the converters in the 1010 *are* better, and they are outside of the computer, whereas the LT converters are on the card inside.

all told, the 1010 is the better choice. you can usually find used ones for between $250 and $350.

i might add.....i have a 1010 and work with it for an hour or two on just about a daily basis. it does a fine job.

cheers,
wade

I have both, the 1010 is what u need for the best quality, noise floor, and convenience. U can mount the break out box in your rack, or put it in a convenienent spot near your mixer. The cable between the breakout box and your computer is long enough to put some distance between your computer, a source of electrical noise, and your audio connections. U can switch between +4 and -10 dBu on the breakout box for each connection, all of which are TRS balanced connectors. It is sturdy, and has a lifetime warranty if I remember correctly. I'm not a sales rep, just a very satisfied user.

how does it work with the computer

the 1010 seemed great to me, put it together with an octane, or a presonus digimax, and you´re ready to go, but one question for those with more experience, how good does the card interact with the pc, i heard the fastest systems (asio 2 or so) run on usb or firewire connections

Back