m-Audio Audiophile USB vs. MobilePre USB

The MobilePre has 2 built-in preamps which the Audiophile doesn't.
However the audiophile will do 24/96 recording while the mobilepre will only do 16/48

MobilePRE has two mic preamps. You can directly plug XLR into it. So, If you plan to record microphones then you need MobilePre. With it you can also use condencer microphones (better quality than regular dynamic mics) as it supports 48v phantom power.

AudioPhile on the other hand has MIDI support..

So, it really depends what you are planning to do. The prices are great for both.

Bulls Hit said:
The MobilePre has 2 built-in preamps which the Audiophile doesn't.
However the audiophile will do 24/96 recording while the mobilepre will only do 16/48

is there a lot of difference between 24/96 and 16/48? because Sound Blaster Audigy ZS notebook has 24/96 with ASIO 2, would that be a better choice than the MobilePre then?

the difference between 24 and 16 is dramatic.

But not in the usual way. In terms of listening to A/B comparisons...you may or may not be able to tell the difference. If you have seasoned ears you may be able to distinguish a difference in quality.

But for a recording engineer 24bit recording gives you a dramatic improvement in headroom and dynamic range.

What this means for you is that the same amount of resolution you got at 0db with 16bit, you can get at what...-8 - -12db (or so) at 24bit.

Granted, a lot of people are under the guise that louder is better and want to record everything at 0db all of the time.

But if you consider the fact that you can get great sounding audio resolution and still have 10db of headroom to spare - it opens up a lot of doors. Not only do you not have to be so anal about watching the clip meter (like drums for example)...you can just back off the gain a little, give the track some room to breathe while still capturing it with good resolution and make life easier on yourself. But you also get the opprutunity to deal with really quiet passages and loud passages with great dynamic range with the softer passages still sounding very detailed.

Anyways, yes there is a big difference.

wes480 said:
the difference between 24 and 16 is dramatic.

But not in the usual way. In terms of listening to A/B comparisons...you may or may not be able to tell the difference. If you have seasoned ears you may be able to distinguish a difference in quality.

But for a recording engineer 24bit recording gives you a dramatic improvement in headroom and dynamic range.

What this means for you is that the same amount of resolution you got at 0db with 16bit, you can get at what...-8 - -12db (or so) at 24bit.

Granted, a lot of people are under the guise that louder is better and want to record everything at 0db all of the time.

But if you consider the fact that you can get great sounding audio resolution and still have 10db of headroom to spare - it opens up a lot of doors. Not only do you not have to be so anal about watching the clip meter (like drums for example)...you can just back off the gain a little, give the track some room to breathe while still capturing it with good resolution and make life easier on yourself. But you also get the opprutunity to deal with really quiet passages and loud passages with great dynamic range with the softer passages still sounding very detailed.

Anyways, yes there is a big difference.

thanks.

because both the audiophile and the mobilepre has ups and downs, should I just go with a Sound Blaster Audigy ZS notebook, since it has 24/96 and ASIO2 support? I doubt I'm gonna use a mic, because I have a Behringer V-Amp 2 for my guitar track and bass track needs. the drums will be done with Drumkit from Hell. or should I just go with the Audiophile?

SoundBlaster is the last thing to go for!

Go for the Audiophile!! M-Audio is one of the best producer of low cost recording devices.. you pretty much cant go wrong with them.

i'm going to record guitar using direct input through my v-amp 2. the Audiophile doesn't have any XLR inputs. would i need XLR?

also, are there any external boxes that have guitar input, XLR mic input, and 24/96 recording?

thanks

Bulls Hit said:
Presonus Firepod. 8 preamps, 8 xlr inputs, 2 Hi-Z inputs, phantom power, 24/96 for $600

................thanks but a bit out of my price range........ I'm looking for something under $150 used, $300 new.

The m-audio FireSolo (i think that is what it's called) is like $179 and may be about what you are looking for.

Has an instrument input for your guitar straight in, line inputs if you were coming from an amp or POD or something....and an XLR preamp for mics.

I looked at getting it the other day...managed to talk myself into the firepod since i was already paying 1/3 that much...and it had so many other featues. (plus i have a lot of mics and have done real drums in the past etc...but was kind of thinking about just getting a temp solution.) and the firepod comes with outstanding software for free - Cubase LE.

But I know that isn't a possibility for everyone. The Firesolo definitely had my eye, check it out.

Back