M-Audio Audiophile 2496 HELP!

Damian227

Ok I bought this new soundcard, set it all up to my mixer/preamp and to my mic but I get next to zero input?

I'm using expensive cables and have cranked the gain and level to max on my mixer but can barely hear anything I record?

I've attempted to turn up the soundcard's inputs but there is no option. I have a few faders but turning them form -144db to 0db is no different whatsoever. The playback works perfectly without any tweaking, but I can't get anything to be louder.

The mixer is set up the exact way I used on my previous card and was always turning it DOWN, now I can't record anything. Can anybody help because I'm going insane trying to figure this out lol?

OK, what mixer are you using, what outputs on the mixer are you using, and what input on the soundcard? Exactly what cables are you using? Let's check the hardware first and let the audiogeeks worry about the software.-Richie

lol ok.

Mixer - Phonic MM1002
Manual - http://doc.phonic.com/file/view.php?sess=0&id=4023&parent=1025&action=file_details

I've attached the mixer via the 'Rec' and '2Rtn' Dual RCA plugs (same way I previously attached it to my Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS

Rec into the soundcards 2 RCA Inputs
2Rtn into the soundcard 2 RCA Outputs
(same as always.. the breakout attachment is for Midi and Digital so I don't use it.)

These are the cables I've purchased;
Belkin'sTop Line Dual RCAs
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467198433&pf_rd_i=468294

Hopefully you can help me. I've turned the Channel Level AND Mic Preamps Gain to MAX... you can hear me shout, but it records at like -49db... which is ridiculously quiet. Both the soundcard's monitor and my DAW's monitor register I'm recording with the levels going up, but they won't go higher than -49db, usually I have an issue with it peaking too high, but on this soundcard I can't get any more volume?

I would try the 1/4" mains out to 1/4" line level inputs on the sound card. The RCA outs are tape outs, which I would expect to be -10dBV outputs. The 2496 is probably looking for +4 dBu. That's just a guess. In the PDF setup, it definiely shows the RCA's running to a cassette recorder, so you know their -10.-Richie

Ugh more new cables... lol

I'd have to go 1/4" from Mains to RCA Inputs as the soundcard doesn't have 1/4" inputs, only RCA. The soundcard's software does give an option to run either consumer or -10dBV... should I perhaps try the -10dBV option before buying yet more new cables?

I do remember attempting to use 1/4" to 3.5mm jacks on my old soundcard and the Main's appeared to give no signal, until I swapped to using the Tape's output via RCA into the soundcards mic/line in.

Yes. First, switch to the -10 option on the soundcard, because that is what you are sending it, That should help. You really want to be using the mains and the +4 option. If all else fails, you can send the mains out to the -10 input. That should clip the crap out of your system. Start with -10 to -10, just to see what that does for you. First, all faders all the way down.-Richie

Last edited:
Just noticed you mentioned having to buy new cables and I wanted to pass on this web site I have started to buy my cables at. The cables appear to be a fairly good build quality. I haven't bought a bunch of cables from them yet but the ones I have gotten from them a really nice and I figure for the price you can't go wrong. Sorry I can't be more help on the actual signal level issue.

I think that the M-Audio Delta drivers list the Delta's monitor mixer applet as a recording source, if this input driver is being used by your recording software then the volume settings on the monitor mixer WILL affect the recording level.

In your recording software are you using the audiophile's 1/2 input or the monitor mixer as your source?

:)

In your recording software are you using the audiophile's 1/2 input or the monitor mixer as your source?

:)

I have the inputs set to the anaglog inputs and the outputs to the analog outputs.

I'll be testing the -10dBV option today, I won't hold my breath though lol

OK I've tested the -10dBV option, turned everything on my mixer to max and I still have to amplify my vocals at least 30dB before I can even begin to work with it.

All I can think is possibly an issue with my audio cables? I was assured they'd do the job... but one is red and one is blue. Isn't a Blue RCA generally left surround sound, rather than a standard left. I don't really know my cables but would that possibly be why it's so quiet? It's also a real war to get it to fit my left input... yet the same cable fits my left output with no issues.

Failing this, I'll have to try rigging up the main instead.

cp1.png

I assume you have the software installed correctly. Are you seeing any movement in the monitor mixer? Make sure nothing is muted in there.

Also... dumb question. Make sure you dont have the input and output jacks mixed up on the back of the M-Audio card. They aren't exactly clearly marked. If that turns out to be the problem, then just don't tell anyone. :laughings:

Also... I'm pretty sure I have mine set to "monitor mixer" in the patchbay / router section.
controlrouter.jpg

If he just bought the card the latest software looks and is arranged differently. The option you hightlighted is now located here:-

70394784.png

cp1.png

I assume you have the software installed correctly. Are you seeing any movement in the monitor mixer? Make sure nothing is muted in there.

Also... dumb question. Make sure you dont have the input and output jacks mixed up on the back of the M-Audio card. They aren't exactly clearly marked. If that turns out to be the problem, then just don't tell anyone. :laughings:

Also... I'm pretty sure I have mine set to "monitor mixer" in the patchbay / router section.
controlrouter.jpg

Yeah everything is on, nothing is muted. I just spotted that Monitor option and am giving that a go next, I was trying to figure out how to control the speakers normally with it and noticed monitor gave me the option via the faders. Once again, I won't hold my breath it works for the input lol

To provide an update. I bought a 2x 1/4" jack to 2x RCA and plugged it into the Main Out and into the Input, rather than the previous set up and all is good.

It's still a little quiet but drastically louder than before. I can now work with the audio files; which are perfectly noise/hiss/hum free. Thanks!

As an owner / user of this product - how woudl you rate it? I'm interested in getting one, but would rather hear pros / cons from an owner / user than the salesmen.

Back