m audio and midi

RousseauBABA

guys..im using a M-Audio Delta 2496 sound cards...which has midi capabilties.....i can play type of MIDI file through my audio players...but the cakewalk sequencer doesnt work...i cant get any sound out of it...even though i did setup all da input and out put ports on cakewalk...

I can't quite understand what you're asking.

Midi makes no sound on it's own - it's a control language that in very basic terms tells a receiving sound generator what note to play, how loudly to play it and how long to hold it.

Maybe your problem is that simple - hook up a sound module or softsynth to your computer and away you go...

rousseau. a quik few triks on midi.
just one example of many ways of working with midi.
just a quik run down. make sure midi is not muted in the windows OS.
in the applet for volume.
1. in most sequencers you have to identify that you want this track as a midi track , rather than wave audio.
2. to record midi you hook up a midi out cable from a midi kbd to midi in of the pc/sound card.
and midi out from pc to say a midi sound module. preferably multi timbral.
multi timbral means the module has lots of different sounds in it for simplicity.
you then come out of the module to your monitoring.
if you dont have a module then you would use either the pc on board MS
sound generators or the sound cards .
3. of PRIME importance when recording is you identify on the track your recording to the midi channel number. so lets say your doing a piano track.
you set midi rcv channel 1 on the track. THIS MUST match the midi SEND
channel number on the external midi kbd you have hooked up to the pc.
if the MIDI CHANNELS DONT MATCH you wont record the incoming midi data stream.
i dont know if this addresses your issue. ive just tried to cover one way of working with midi that ive used. hope this helps.

well...it works with da modules...n software synths...but im talkin about the GM MIDI sounds...which used to come out of my sound card...(my previous SC was creative SB Live)since i use piano roll lot of times so i dun wanna hook up ne module or some thing for small piano roll staffz.....

rousseau. i would email maudio for a solution.
it sounds to me that somewhere either in cakewalk set up or in the sound card applet or maybe in windows itself - look in control panel (multimedia icon for example) and in system device mgr the gm set has not been initialised for use.
sorry i cant help further.

thnx for ur advises man....ill check those things...my spdif in doesnt work either...can u tell me??could there be any option to enable any ports..

Back