M-Audio 24/96 audiophile sound card for lap top?

zimbo

I have an M-Audio 24/96 audiophile sound card installed on my tower DAW. However, I'm hoping to purchase a Lap Top.
Can this card be installed into a Lap Top?
if not - is a there an M-Audio 24/96 audiophile sound card which can be attached via USB?
Thanks

Probably you cannot install the sound card into your laptop, no. You probably don't have space in the frame of the laptop to mount the card, let alone a PCI slot to spare.

But there are a ton of USB audio interfaces that would be equivalent. The 24/96 is essentially an audio interface without its own enclosure.

I had 3 2496 cards in a desktop at one point serviced by an A&H ZED 10. They gave excellent results with a noise floor down around -98dBFS. They also had excellent drivers and I could work down to 64mS (at 44.1kHz) a figure only bettered by 'mid priced' USB interfaces in the last 5 years or so.

If low latency is important to you I can recommend two interfaces. The Native Instruments KA6 and, even better IMHO, the MOTU M2 or M4. Sadly, after being swallowed up by Avid M-Audio kit seems to have sunk with little trace?

Dave.

I have an M-Audio 24/96 audiophile sound card installed on my tower DAW. However, I'm hoping to purchase a Lap Top.
if not - is a there an M-Audio 24/96 audiophile sound card which can be attached via USB?
Thanks
For the price of an expansion box that would do that would land you in a better interface range. Its better to consider an SSL 2+

Thanks
The Native instruments KA6 Mkll has very similar connectivity to the 2496. Two line inputs, balanced this time and with more headroom. DIN MIDI I/O and S/PDIF I/O on co-ax RCA. Plus you get a pair of very decent mic pre amps which can also be balanced line ins or High Z instrument inputs. 4 balanced line outputs and cans.

The KA6 comes with very well written ASIO drivers and actually beats the 2496 for lowest latency.

The MOTU M4 is much the same but no digital I/O. The mic pres are though perhaps slightly better in terms of noise and gain but neither interface will give you a problem in that department.

Dave.

Thanks
You can have a M-Audio 24/96 for a laptop - with a lot of machinations - and expensive - with a PCI Expansion Rack - totally not worth it IMO.

The M-Audio M-Track Plus is essentially the same unit in a USB Interface form - and considerally less expensive

Back