I align my lyrics..

• from the left (traditional writing)

Votes: 13 61.9%
  • centered on the page

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • other

Votes: 7 33.3%

• Total voters
It seems silly but the reason I brought it up is I realized something today.

Normally I type my lyrics and have always aligned them to the left, as with any normal writing. (in English). Today I acidentally set it to "Center" and sang to it for a little bit. It seems much easier to follow along on the page from verse to verse that way. I think I may go back an reprint all my current material.

Again, I know this seems like something little and stupid, but it was a little easier for me so I thought I would share. :)

The key is to write how you normally write and comprehend words. For example: if you tend to take notes at school with the traditional "left to write" method, then dont switch this up when its time to write lyrics. What you end up doing is confusing your brain into reading in a manner its not used to. This slows down the creative process and that my friend, defeats the purpose of writing in the first place.

Now... if this post helped you out, please be sure to listen to my music @ http://www.soundclick.com/raydio

VSpaceBoy said:
So how do you print/write your lyrics on the page for easiest reading?

Heh, I think I start in a wobbly line depending on the orientation of the page/cigarette packet/old envelope, then I run out of space and start to write sideways, then I write above the bits I crossed out - unless I use post-it notes (and then it depends how much space I have on the desk!)

Hmm, maybe I should vote "other" :)

when i'm jotting down idea's i use traditional writing. but i agree. when your done, type it up and centre it, it makes it so much easyer to follow. i think becouse it's becouse with traditional writing your lines start at the same place, making it easer to loose your place but in centre format, it starts unevenly, making it easer to distinguish where you are/were.

I use big print. I can't see well and not being sure of what I'm reading tenses me up. Because I'm usually doing this whilst perfoming solo - having never gotten the knack of memorizing much of anything - it ain't exactly a good time to freeze up. :cool:

So I do this a lot.
And this.
And then I usually run out of paper.

Sometimes people centre the text of poems and lyrics for aesthetic reasons.

However, for readability, it is best to left-align the text. The eye then jumps automatically to the next line, rather than having to search for it in centred text.

Poems and lyrics generally are usually short pieces and don't go on for pages, so it probably doesn't matter that much.

I still write on pen and paper. Start at the margin. Scribble notes here and there.

I usually type up the lyrics after I've recorded a song just to keep a dated document. I don't have a printer

Well I have an admission that many of my lyrics have been scribbled on the back of the nearest bill envelope that is to hand and I have worked from those scribbles and don't usually type up until I have finished the track. I am untidy, disorganised, I thrive on spontaneity, and often don't know what I'm doing til half way through, but it works for me......

Tim

Grim.... the thread necromancer!

But seriously, I write down lyrics only to record what they are and to develop them. Shouldn't need to read them from a screen or paper to record or play them....

Arial. 11 pt. MS Word. Left aligned. Let me know if you're interested in my margin settings.... :eek:

Grim.... the thread necromancer!
Believe it or not, it wasn't me. It's impossible to know who it was though because 'whosoever' took part in the poll but never posted. I was quite surprized when I noticed the date but I thought I'd post anyway, as an experiment, just to see if anyone else would take part..........

Arial. 12 pt;
MS Word 2007;
Left aligned;
Style setting - No Spacing;
Narrow margins;
No header No footer;
Font colour - automatic;
Spell Checker - On;
View - Print Layout &
Bold for title only.

Arial. 12 pt;
MS Word 2007;
Left aligned;
Style setting - No Spacing;
Narrow margins;
No header No footer;
Font colour - automatic;
Spell Checker - On;
View - Print Layout &
Bold for title only.

LOL... I hear you get more air in the vocal if you have the lyrics typed out in full justification setting rather than left aligned... ;)

I still write on pen and paper. Start at the margin. Scribble notes here and there.

I usually type up the lyrics after I've recorded a song just to keep a dated document. I don't have a printer

You don't have a printer, but you DO have a typewriter? :eek: How's the wax-tube recording going for you these days?! :D

Back