Lynyrd Haggyrd

jimistone

long standing member
Lynyrd Haggyrd remixed

This is an old blues tune that I wrote a few years ago that I revamped into a southern rock country style tune. Merle Haggard and Skynyrd are big influences on me and this song reflects both influences. It's a rough mix. I basically just set the levels add a touch of reverb, and compressed the vocal a tad.
Any advice on mixing this song would be appreciated. I'm going to say up front that I know the slide guitar is a bit sloppy and needs to be redone. Slide is not my fortay.
Riverboat Gambin' Blues

gaming blues remixer

Last edited:
Shit, lol, that's pretty good. Good raunchy tones and playing. Some spots get a little sloppy, but it has a natural live feel to it.

The mix.....seems like everything is really crammed to the middle. Give it a little spread and see how things work out. Even crammed up it sounds pretty decent though.

Thanks greg.
I think the 2 rhythm guitar parts don't complement each other that well, after listening further. I cut out one and the other sounds good on its own so I'm going to go with that one only. I also think maybe the 1st verse needs no fills. So after the intro cut out the slide guitar fills until the 2nd verse. It gives the song a better build up and crescendo that way Imo. I have two tracks of the same rhythm guitar part, that I'm keeping, and I have panned them further apart and it's not so cluttered now. There's not a lot I can do on the drums they were recorded with 2 overheads so they are what they are.

Last edited:
You could say a little Allmon Brothers thrown in for good measure.

Good stuff, this would play well live for sure.

Jimi, I'm amazed at how warm and clear-sounding you have got the mix, especially the drumkit with two mics! I'm finding it difficult to get a nice warm-sounding mix with my stuff.

Really very good, especially the playing. :D

You could say a little Allmon Brothers thrown in for good measure.

Good stuff, this would play well live for sure.

Yeah, I cut my teeth on southern rock and I still love it. Thanks for the kind words bro.

I think this is great. I hear everything clearly. Might need some spread, but I still hear everything clearly. The playing and singing is awesome. I don't hear anything I don't like about this. Great job, JimiS.

Jimi, I'm amazed at how warm and clear-sounding you have got the mix, especially the drumkit with two mics! I'm finding it difficult to get a nice warm-sounding mix with my stuff.

Really very good, especially the playing. :D
Thanks bubba. I'm getting better results than I used to. I have to give greg credit. He isn't using the best mics money can buy and gets fantastic results. He told me he makes sure everything has a killer sound before it hits the mic. I have really spent a lot of time getting the drums tuned and dampened to sound their absolute best (not completely happy with the snare on this one though). I spent alot of time in mic placement experimentation. I really didnt realize how drastic a couple of inches was on placing a mic. Ditto on guitars. I tried to get guitar sounds I wouldn't have to tweak coming straight out of the amp.
Thanks for the review bubba

I think this is great. I hear everything clearly. Might need some spread, but I still hear everything clearly. The playing and singing is awesome. I don't hear anything I don't like about this. Great job, JimiS.

I I have a bass pot on my studio monitor sub and I used your song " Any flavor you like" to tune my speakers and get a good idea of how much high end and low in i needed on this song.
Your songs really translate well and I'm trying to copy you sonic signature.
Lol
I really like you mixes man.
Thanks for the review and good words rami.

I listened to this earlier a few times and really enjoyed it. My first thought was that it sounded a little too busy, guitar wise, but you seem to have plans to remedy that. The mix could possibly benefit from a bit more panning as Greg says but I think it sounds f'in great as is. I love Skynyrd and Haggard and I totally get the influence.

Top job so far. Looking forward to the next one. :thumbs up:

Thanks Mr Clean.
Yeah, I'm did some panning yesterday and it's getting better, but there not alot I can do on the drums. I used a studio projects C1 and a EV hand held condenser as "overheads" they are the only condenser mics I had so they had to suffice. I put the EV mic about 5 feet high behind the drummer offset to the left a bit (sweet spot) and I put the C1 about 2 feet in front of the drumset even with the bottom of the mounted toms...off set to the right.

I said all that to say this...
I'm basically using the C1 track as bass drum and the low end frequencies of the toms. The EV track is the high end frequencies and snare/cymbal track. The tones are great but it dosen't lend itself very well to yielding a great stereo image. It's almost a mono track of drums and a mono bass drum track. The more separation I get out of everything else the more one dimensional the drums are going to sound.

next song I'm going to do 2 EV mics (bought another one since this recording) overhead and a dedicated bass drum track. I think it will improve the drums in my recordings drastically.
I'm tempted to redo the drums on this one...but the grove is there and may be hard to duplicate in that respect

Thanks again for the review.

I will be honest, I heard that, but it gave it an old school sound that reminded me of that time. I didn't think too much of it really. Sounded like a typical LS mix.

I also got a little Allman Bros feel - at least early on.

I just skimmed the comments. But my thoughts are that the mix is kind of narrow, things sound a little distant, and it's a little light in the low end.

I love the playing. I love the lead guitar tones. Really Allman-ish.

I also got a little Allman Bros feel - at least early on.

I just skimmed the comments. But my thoughts are that the mix is kind of narrow, things sound a little distant, and it's a little light in the low end.

I love the playing. I love the lead guitar tones. Really Allman-ish.
Thanks triple m.
I pretty much agree with your assessment of the rough mix. I worked on it yesterday and I'm almost ready to post my 2nd swing at this mix. Hopefully I will improve it.

That slide/lead guitar sounds fabulous Jimi. I couldn't care less about the mix lol just wanna hear that guitar.
LOL thanks Ido1957. Seems like the general concensus is that I got the guitar tone right....now if I can just get everything else right.

I like the low end better now. To me it's just right. But I could see where others might want a little more. But I think it's good for this style.

The mix still seems a little narrow to me.

Rhythm guitars still a little distant. Sounds like they're missing some of the higher end of the range.

I'd lose some of the reverb. Especially from the vocal.

Just my opinions.

I like the drumming and guitar playing. Some good musicianship right there.

Back