Lynx One vs. Layla (and other similar soundcards)

omnipotent

This queuestion is primarily directed at Sonusman, but any input would be welcome.

Ed, I hear you talking about how impressed with the Lynx One, you are. I went to their Website and I was impressed aswell. But of course theres always the problem that will turn many people off them, that is, it only has 2 anologue inputs (and no Adat, if it matters to anyone).

I own a Layla24 and have little trobles. I do all my recording to it (soon upgrading to ADAT) and am happy with the results; I arn't planning on changing cards.

But I was woundering how you would compare the Lynx One to the "larger" soundcards like Layla24 and Motu 2408 etc., in terms of internal digital processing and preformance? and also (just out of interest), if you needed multiple inputs would you go for one of the later soundcards or a few Lynx One's synced together.

omnipotent :D

Internal bit processing is exclusively the function of software programming, as has nothing to do with a soundcard, unless the soundcard contains a DSP chip.

I never considered the Event (Echo, whoever, they seem have changed so ofter over the last couple years) cards for one very big reason. No NT drivers, and no plan to upgrade to NT. I just can't bring myself to use 95/98 because all my experience with those OS's left me sharing the deep running hate with Microsoft... :)

But really, I just only considered cards that would run on NT (which MOTU doesn't either....) because scuttlebutt has it that NT drivers are much harder to write, and I think it shows the commitment to quality when a company RELEASES a product that has NT drivers (which Lynx did).

Plus, I looked into the Lynx a little bit before buying and found that they are using chips on their converters that are normally used on converters of really high quality.

Link 4 of them together? Sure. You got $1800 bucks?

Wait around a couple months. The owner of Lynx suggested that they have a couple new products coming out in August. An ADAT interface with NT (2000) drivers was hinted at. We will see.

But, I am still very impressed with the Lynx card. I have heard some decently recorded stuff done with a Layla. Maybe I just can't get over that Layla song about the cross dresser.... :)

Ed

ed,

I looked at you last comment for a moment thinking, "huh?" but then after a few seconds, it hit me...

You mean "Lola!" You're confusing "Lola by Ray Davies of the Kinks with "Layla" by Eric Clapton...

Thanks for the chuckle...

-Alan

[This message has been edited by AlChuck (edited 06-09-2000).]

Took 'em long enough. Does anyone know when they actually promised these drivers?

Well, at least a step in the right direction for Echo Audio.

Ed

Layla rocks man the only card I would even think of getting over Layla, and it would take a lot of debating is the new 1296 MOTU and thats like $2,100 bucks. Echo audio is stable, rock solid and BAD ass equip. The quality blows ADAT away(which I have as well and have used for years) And the converters smoke!

Back