Lumière et Caféine

1st off - nicely recorded.
2ndly, that was an enjoyable listen - to have, at least an occasional, non obvious path/note/phrase is very refreshing.
I do think you stayed well within the bounds of ear comfort though - a few larger steps may have been an interesting test of my listening.
Overall
Really good mate.

Yes - the recording is good and the playing is top notch as always. :D . Love the trills (that what I call them anyway). :D

It's good to hear something full of the unexpected. I really enjoyed the piece and the playing which is not to take away from the quality recording. In the setup you said that it was an improvisation. That is a great way to compose and you have produced an excellent result.

chazba

It is a warm night, gentle breeze tickling the leaves in the trees, the crickets can be heard in the distance..playing softly their night song. The moon is full with it's slivery light and the stars bear witness to all below.

She is dancing in the garden, spinning round...the material of her skirt taken a life of its own...she bends and twirls gracefully, her body flowing with the music. The blades of grass, that blanket the spot she twirls upon, respond to the touch of her bare feet...the green blades, bending and arching, following suite of her moves.

He sits upon a ledge, next to the goldfish pond...a small waterfall flowing...as smoothly as his fingers flow, across the strings of guitar.....watching her intently, he is mesmerized, by the graceful passion in dance...around ...around...her slender neck bends backward, her arms and hands drawing him to her...hips provocative in their gentle swaying....a subtleness of seduction, as she arches her back to hold a pose, for an ever so slight second of pause, that comes in the music.

As his feel of consciousness, is lost to the dreamlike aura of her dance, the urgency of his playing fills her body with feverish excitement...her eyes are alive with emotion...she is an extension of his playing...or is it his playing, the extension of her dancing. No matter, they have become one with each other...the building crescendo they both take great pleasure embracing, as their musical passion is spent..his hands..her movements..come to a gratifying cadence...she quickly falls to the ground, just as his fingers play no more....

Tim...I like this one really well. As you can read, you never fail, to inspire a tale of romance and passion....You are still Zorro baby!!!:D

Yup...pretty sweet sounding.

I assume this is the same Tim of past nylon-stringed adventures? If so, I was wondering why I had not heard anything recently. Anyway...loved it. Nice technique...interesting tonal surprises and a pleasantly bright sound overall. A great sense of space with tasteful reverberation...nice.

Reactions: XLR
Sounds like I'm right there listening to 2 people play. How do you do that?

Reactions: XLR
rayc, ido1957, chazba, Dogman, heatmiser, danny.guitar - thanks for having a listen and your comments. Ray - suggestion duly noted! Danny - glad it came across realistically. I originally thought I'd have to toss out the quicker section... that part was tracked in a very small bright room and had severe high end harsh ping problems. Some severe EQ on that one! Thank god for electri-Q's assortment of filters.

true-eurt - wow, a beautiful scene. Thank you very much for that!

Tim, can I ask what made the biggest difference for you as far as quality of your recordings go? I remember you saying you had a nice preamp but forgot what it was (Great River?) and a Lucid AD/DA? What makes the biggest difference? Just curious.

Goes very well while reading True's story up there :cool: Listening on headphones and the balance and sounds sound excellent. A short acoustic journey of mystery and intrigue, with a few twists and turns :cool::cool:

Snake - thanks a lot.:)

Danny - oh man, I dunno... for clarity the Great River MP2 is good and the Lucid AD also (though that AD wasn't used on this), but I'd have to say for me that whenever I get something tracked that I like it's usually because the feel of the tune drew me in and my chops were up to it enough at the moment so that my hands didn't get in the way. Whenever I'm recording myself, if I'm not capturing the sound I want it's almost always because I'm just not playing it well enough.

The first, slower section of this was done with the Great River into an RME converter, Schoeps mic's at neck/body joint and bridge 2 ft out, treated room, nice Brazilian rosewood/cedar gtr. The second, faster section was done with a single MXL 603 going into a Tascam US122, room from hell, cheap gtr with bad strings, then later EQ'd to death. I think the clarity of the first half makes the haziness of the second half less noticeable, kind of an aural illusion maybe.

Back