Lukather Instructional DVD

Valley Arts Kid

First, my disclaimer: I'm not big on learning guitar from instructional videos.

But, I'm tempted to purchase the Lukather DVD and looking for feeback here from anyone who's seen it. I'm not so much interested in picking technique, gear, or specific tunes. I want to understand what he's doing on the fretboard.

Funny thing, he used to be a friend of my Dad, but I never had the courage to walk up and ask him how he does it.

Last edited:
Sticking his fingers all over the thing in farily quick succession would be my estimation....

Wasn't / isn't he in Toto? Should they still be playing, do you think?

Sorry to raise your expectations when you saw someone replied, but I have no idea...

Isn't there an Amazon for instructional DVDs where people review them for you..?

First, my disclaimer: I'm not big on learning guitar from instructional videos.

But, I'm tempted to purchase the Lukather DVD and looking for feeback here from anyone who's seen it. I'm not so much interested in picking technique, gear, or specific tunes. I want to understand what he's doing on the fretboard.

Funny thing, he used to be a friend of my Dad, but I never had the courage to walk up and ask him how he does it.

I'm not big on them either. But every now and again I give in an get one--of course it's the artist that makes me give it a shot. Some have been hits, some misses. No matter how good a player someone is--he may not be a good teacher. That's a whole different skill set.

Bot some have done well. Frank Gambale & Paul Gilbert come to mind. Steve Lukather is one of the few I'd try--he's that good, and for some reason strikes me as one down to earth enough to sit down and explain what he's doing in a decent way.

Exactly. I've listened to him in conversation about gear, career, etc., and he is a good communicator.

Well like I said, I'm not big on them either--but I'd give Luke a try. But if you do first, give me a review and then I'll know if I should get it or not!

Thanks!

Maybe if he makes enough money from selling instructional videos, Toto don't need to exist any more.

You've done your part.

I, and thousands of others, thank you... :D

Review

I've now had a chance to view the DVD. On pure entertainment value, I'd give it a 9 / 10, but as a tutorial it's maybe a 7 /10. He doesn't really get into theory as much as I'd hoped. It's basically, "Here's a lick from our 4th album. . . . Now I'll play it slowly." It comes with a booklet that has the music, no true tab, but the string # and fret # are printed beneath each note on the staff.

If you're a fan it's worth having just to watch him play and b.s. in the studio. Glad I got it.

I've now had a chance to view the DVD. On pure entertainment value, I'd give it a 9 / 10, but as a tutorial it's maybe a 7 /10. He doesn't really get into theory as much as I'd hoped. It's basically, "Here's a lick from our 4th album. . . . Now I'll play it slowly." It comes with a booklet that has the music, no true tab, but the string # and fret # are printed beneath each note on the staff.

If you're a fan it's worth having just to watch him play and b.s. in the studio. Glad I got it.

Good to know. Thanks for the follow up.

Back