Ludwig piccolo snare...pos or not?

scrubs

Not of sound mind
So, since Brooks Mays is closing all their stores, I went to the local one to see what they had...mostly used band instruments...all the other stuff was pretty much gone. I had been thinking about getting a glockenspiel/bell set and they had some used Ludwig/Rogers sets and made me a reasonable deal. Included in the set was a Ludwig piccolo snare shell with hoops, but no tension rods or heads. Does anybody have one of these or an opinion about them? In general, I'm anti-piccolo snare for no real reason other than they seem to sound annoying on recordings, but since I have the shell, I thought I might buy some heads and tension rods and see what it sounds like. It's like the one in the picture below. Any opinions?

Attachments

• ludwig2.jpg
    ludwig2.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 50
Those Ludwig bell kits are fun. If it's priced decent, it'd be a good little add-on for your current kit. Those snares aren't too shabby with some good heads on them, as long as it's not out of round or anything. I tend to hate piccolos for recording too, but they do their part as a side snare and can be fun for intricite hi-hat/snare work. Also, a lot of grindcore bands like them because it gives them more control when doing blasts. I say, why not, at the least... it's always fun to play with your bells.

Another thing you can do is take off the chain and tighten the heads so it sounds like a steel drum, and have it sit off to the left of your hi-hat for rocksteady/reggae stuff.

Back