LP Needle Noise

fixthedoor

I'm working on quick, simple recording for my wife's "Holiday" party. (1) Track is of an LP with a fair amount of crackle. At times it's too loud and a bit distracting. How do I go about reducing the volume of the crackle with minimal effect on the rest of the track?

Currently I have it saved as a Garage Band file, but can create a project in Logic if needed. Thanks.

I think there's a utility to remove crackles/pops on Cool Edit, but I couldn't tell you whether it affects the recording quality in any way.

I think there's a utility to remove crackles/pops on Cool Edit, but I couldn't tell you whether it affects the recording quality in any way.

It will affect the sound quality. The question is, will the compromises made sound better than the crackle?

You can always buy a record cleaner. That will remove the dust and static charge on the vinyl, which is where a good percentage of the noise on well-kept records comes from.

You may have to zoom in and piece by piece remove the crackles.
Or just purchase the song from itunes.:rolleyes:
:cool:

Oh man that might be too much effort for this little endeavor. I was hoping to work out my issue using software, to better familiarize myself with editing processes as I am just starting out. I haven't been able to find something online to replace what I have. Not that what I have is special, it just works for what I am doing.

The track is something that I had that was already recorded, so I can't clean any hardware and get a better recording.

Man, I know this isn't a helpful comment, but I'm a big fan of the Izotope Vinyl plugin for the exact opposite reason - the ability to add that stuff IN! :laughings:

I like the impressionistic LP noise on Smashing Pumpkins' "1979". The intro/outro drums sound a bit like vinyl dust and static, and there's some distinct simulated wow and flutter, and RIAA eq bass pumping, going on there.

Wash the LP record with some dishwashing detergent, using a stiff bristle paint brush and rinse with clear cool water. Allow to dry overnight and try again. You will be surprised at the difference.

I like the impressionistic LP noise on Smashing Pumpkins' "1979". The intro/outro drums sound a bit like vinyl dust and static, and there's some distinct simulated wow and flutter, and RIAA eq bass pumping, going on there.

Seriously, check out that plug. IIRC it's a free download.

I'm working on an instrumental guitar album, and I think I'm going to open it with a pretty heavy instrumental that opens with a minute and a half of fingerstyle acoustic blues processed to sound like an old Robert Johnson album. It's awesome. :laughings:

Seriously, check out that plug. IIRC it's a free download.

I'm working on an instrumental guitar album, and I think I'm going to open it with a pretty heavy instrumental that opens with a minute and a half of fingerstyle acoustic blues processed to sound like an old Robert Johnson album. It's awesome. :laughings:

I plan to release on vinyl eventually. I won't need a plugin to make vinyl sound like vinyl. :laughings:

Back