LP claw mic mounts...worth the money?

Carny1122

Plugin Whore
Hey all, I bought 5 On-Stage drum mic clips back in february for my business to use live, and needless to say, they're pieces of junk. They don't mount on any sort of even semi-convenient spot on suspension mounted toms, and they slip off of the rim much too easily. Money wasted.

Anyway, I was checking out the LP claws. A bit pricy, but would they be worth the money to invest in? They seem a bit big and clunky, but what I am MOST concerned about is the ability to mount to suspension-mounted toms of all brands. Pearls have tinier mounts than Tama's, and a lot of the new custom brands have HUGE mounts that span about half of the shell's circumference. I am wondering if these will mount like over a suspension mount, under it, WHEREVER, just not off to the side of it. That's a pain in the butt.

Any ever use these? They look nice, but I'm a college kid and can't afford to invest in them if they're crap.

I had problems using the LP claw for two reasons:

1. They take up too much space
2. The threading on the clamps failed waaaaay too easy

I am not a fan of the "claw".

I have used Mic-Eze claps (I think the model may be M1). They are 1/2 the price of the Claw, take up much less space and I think work fine (for close micing).

The only down side with the Mic-Eze....if you use something like a Shure SM57 - it places the mic a little too far over the drum head (which can interfere with the drummer). To overcome this, you can simply use the spring "clamp" mic clips (instead of the "fixed position clips") which allows you to slide the mic further back in the clip. Note: if you use the type of "L shape mics" that often come in drum mic packs (such as the e604) the Mic-Eze work well.

I bought some 6" goose necks and that with the Mic-Eze give me whatever positioning combinations I need.

Ahhh thanks. I hadn't even seen these before you mentioned them.

Just curious, is the difference between the M-1 and the M-3 just that one has a vertical clip and one has a horizontal clip?

And I won't have to worry about using long mics, I've got a set of Audix drum mics that I use. Thing is, though, the floor tom mic that I use is a bit heavy. Will that be a problem with these clips?

I've never used the M3 - but I think the only difference is the "pivot" direction of the clip.

I don't think the weight of the mic should be a problem, once the Mic-eze are tight, they don't tend to slip. The heaviest mic I've used would be a Shure SM57. If you are using something like an AKG414, I would think it would hold up, but since I've never tried.....I can't provide any assurance.

All I know is I've got 3 LP Claws in a box of drum hardware - because they all have trashed treads - I think the Claws are junk!!!!

I use stands because I don't want structural transmission of energy from a stick strike to a mic attached to the rim of my drum.

That said, I haven't used them - so all my planning to avoid such transmission may be so many farts in the wind. YMMV.

Supercreep,

I completely agree with the transmission of energy - and in the studio, I would always use stands vs. clamps.

However, Carny indicates this is for a live application - which is not as much a critical application. In a live situation, space and set-up time can be as much of an issue as sound, and clamps are faster and cleaner.

claws

Hey guys
I use LP claws on my congas and bongos in a live situation, and they work a treat. Like MikeH said, space is at a premium especially with a large percussion rig, or drum kit. The claws have been really sturdy and reliable thus far (been gigging them pretty hard for about 3 years)
I wouldn't recommend them for studio where space is normally less of a problem and sound quality is key.
Sorry, can't comment on how good they will work with your rims etc, but I can tell you they are sturdy and well made. Bleedin' pricey though, I remember thinking at the time!!
Good luck!!
long x

That Gibralter unit looks much more sturdy than the LP - I don't think the threads would strip the way the LP tends to!!

I own a lot of Gibralter hardware (drum rack, cymbals arms, percussion clamps, etc) and it is all very road worthy!!!!

I have had decent results with the Claw... but the alternative I have preferred is Gibralter's Claw knock off. Again, cheaper and I think better built.

Check it out:

http://www.gibraltarhardware.com/index.cfm?fa=partsmain&curcat=2&bnd=11&cid=115&sid=437&pid=1472
I have both LP and Gibraltar claws. While I've never experience any problems with the LP, the Gibraltars are just as good, and maybe even a little easier to position.

Mikeh - maybe you're just using too much force! :D

Thanks guys, I did a lot of shopping around yesterday...I think I'm probably gonna go with those Mic-Eze clips, they seem like they'd get the job done just fine...and space is a premium! I play with my cymbals high (the studio is rubbing off on me a bit when I transition to live!), but many drummers that I work with live play really low cymbals and bass-drum-mounted toms (ugh) so I think those Mic-Eze clips will allow their cymbals to be where they need them. The Gibraltar ones look fine, too, just really, really bulky.

And no worries, I'm completely aware of sound transmission. Studio is only stands for me. I'm not that much of a noob that I'd use clips! haha

Back