Low wattage amp build?

goldtopchas

I got a hankerin' to build a low (1 -5 watt) tube amp from scratch. The key here is to be able to crank it to 10 if I want and still be at a low volume.
OK, I know this has probably been discussed a zillion times here. So here's what I'm after, specifically.
I just want to find an amp schematic/wiring diagram of the circuit. I DON'T want to buy a kit for 200.00 -500.00. I mean, come on, the most expensive parts on this thing are the trans. and they can be had pretty cheap. I want to make my own chassis and eyelet board from scratch. I think this would be half the fun.
I've already considered just copying an old tweed fender schem. but these are still too loud. I've looked at Torres' "tiny tone" (1 1/2 watts") and this sounds ideal, but once again, I don't want to dump 400.00 into this. Especially if when it's all said and done it sounds "cheesy".
Does anyone have a link to an ultra-low power design that's easy to build and doesn't cost a fortune? I have a good understanding of the basic principles. (not gonna fry my ass!) Thanks, in advance!

www.ax84.com

Have a good look around and you should be able to find out everything you need to know. Check out the Firefly (less than 1 watt push/pull amp). You should be able to get the iron for that one for around $60.

You might not want to just buy a kit and build it, but honestly, for a first amp it isn't a bad idea. There is a lot of stuff that can go wrong and just knowing that you got all the right parts from someone would be one hell of a headache reliever if it doesn't work right off the bat...and trust me, it might not.

goldtopchas said:
Cool stuff, It's getting me pointed in the right direction.
Thanks!

Hey man, good luck on the project. Please keep us up to date on your progress. Any info regarding where you bought parts and such would me most appreciated.

also, if you happen to stumble across a plan/BOM/schematic for an old one knob two tube amp like the old old champs, let us know.

I would like to following in your footsteps (avoiding any pitfalls you find on the way)!

Good luck!!!

Probably going to do the "firefly" amp. Found some wiring diagrams and good info at the ax84 site. The parts are pretty cheap, I'll get some from angela amps, also from ebay, and I might be able to scrape up a few things from my junk drawers. I probably have some of the resistors and caps as well as switches and plugs and things. I'll be sure and post my results If I get this off the ground. Gotta make time for it. Should be fun!!

Back