Low input signal

HannesRoos

I'm getting a very very low input signal when recording instruments , any thoughts ?

Setup: Keyboard,mic through x1832usb mixer to laptop,running audacity.

From what it looks like, you don't have any kind of preamp to boost your mic level signal to line level. This is going to cause low signals....

Pretty much all of us will recomend that you get some kind of audio interface (and for your needs a smaller one with built in pres) to use to record. The mic pres will take the "mic" level signal ( -30 - -60 dbm) to "line" level (+4 dbm). Do you have any kind of budget to work with or are you limited to your current equiptment? If your limited right now, you may be out of luck for a "louder" signal.

I'd have thought the same, Phriq, but for familiarity with the mixer he's using from another thread (and 'cause I have an older, lower end version of the same one). The Xenyx1832USB is a fully functional interface unit with built-in pres on the mic channels.

OP...

What kind of mic are you using and what kind of cable? (Mainly looking to find out where you are plugging it in.)

Ideally, you are using an XLR mic cable (on both ends), which will guarantee you are plugging it into one of the preamps. If your mic is a condenser mic, you need to make sure you turn on the 48V power. Can't tell in the pictures where the switch is on your mixer. Maybe on the back panel. It will be labelled 48v.

Next you need to make sure your trim/channel gain and routings are setup right right:

1 - Straight down from the phones/ctrl room volume knob, and up and to the left from the main fader, find the Mode button. Press it 'In' to engage "Pre-Fader Listen" or PFL mode.

2 - On the channel you are plugged into, make sure the Mute button (just to the right of the channel number above the channel fader at the bottom of the row of controls for the channel you are using) is 'Out'.

3 - Just to the right of the channel fader find the Solo button. Press it 'In'. Look across this row of buttons for all the other channels, monitor, FX, etc. and make sure their Solo buttons are all 'Out'.

4 - Just above the main faders (double slider in the lower right corner) you'll find your level meters. In PFL Mode (which you are in now, only the left one is on.) Since the Solo button for your channel is engaged and you are in PFL mode, it is directly displaying the strength of your signal coming into the mixer section from the pre-amp. Find the small black knob labelled Gain up near the top of the row of controls for the channel you are using. That's the knob you need to adjust. Watch the left channel of the meter while you are playing and adjust the gain knob until your peaks just barely reach zero db. (Don't worry about zero dB being "taboo" in the software. zero db on your board is a lower level than zero dB in the software. Aim for zero db peaks on your board. They'll be lower than that in the software).

5 - Once you have the level set, click the Mode button and your channel's Solo button back 'out'. This will put your meter back in stereo mode looking at the main output level instead of the input level from your channel.

6 - Now bring the channel fader (slider at the very bottom of the channel) up to zero db (look at the markings. zero will be about 3/4 of the way up).

7 - Your board has a built in compressor on each channel. I recommend you don't use it until you've played with it enough and read about compression enough to know what you are doing. For now, crank this knob all the way counterclockwise to disengage the compressor.

8 - Now set the routing controls. You want the Sub button 'up' and the Main button 'down'. (These two are just below the solo button. to the right of the channel fader)

9 - Now bring the main faders (double slider in the lower right corner) up to zero db. (same spot as the channel fader, ~3/4 of the way up).

10 - OK, there is no 10, but who ever heard of "9 point plan"? Ten steps has a better ring to it.

Your board is now 'set'. This may have seemed like a lot because I spelled it out in such detail. In reality it only takes a few seconds.

Now look at your software. Your "zero dB peaks" on the board SHOULD be showing up in the software as somewhere in the range of -12dB peaks on your recording level meter, which is just what you want (some folks aim for a little hotter (-9dbfs?), which is fine. If it's waaay lower than this or waaay higher than this, something is wrong that I'm not sure I can help with. If it's off by a little, or you want to run a little hotter, you can tweak the main faders up a touch on your board. (or very carefully adjust the gain knob a teeny bit. Be careful with this.) With experience you will learn exactly what level you need on your board in step 4 above to get the right level in your software.

Give all that a go and post back how you make out. :)

BTW . . . Nothing against Audacity per se but I strooooongly recommend upgrading to Reaper. You can try it will a fully functional version for free and it is only $40 when you decide you like it and need to pay for it. It is MUCH better, and much better known. You can get help with it a lot easier than with Audacity question. Ask and Audacity question and the answer you are likely to get (and the one I will give) is ... Switch to Reaper!

J

Howzit J !? THANKS for 9+1 step plan ! ;-)

1.I do the "gain set" part ect and play around with the sliders,preamp,comp etc . (I've been reading A LOT of manuals lately!!! - Just FYI-my wife performs live,so I'm pretty comfortable with working with the mixer,but recording's a whole different ballgame!) But,although Audacity shows a strong signal on "monotring" ,once you record,the signal is very weak. The "wave form" on the recording is NOWHERE near the "imported" backtrack's form. I have to "amplify" 2/3 times to get them at a similar level, but that naturally amplifies every other little squeek and just doesn't sound proper.
2.As you said, the x1832 comes with an interface. One (stupid) question,should you be able to "open" this
interface and do adjustments to signal volumes etc? If I go via "contr. panel / sound devices" blah blah,it lets you choose the usb interface ,but you also set the levels in that same window. Hopes it makes sense??? (Suppose what I'm asking is,should this "interface" open like a "program" you're working on or is just something that makes communication between the mixer and soundcard possible?
3. The mics are ... uhm ...(Can't for the life of me remember the brand right now) ,but it's dynamic and uses canon to canon jacks ...

That was mouthfull ....

Ps: Did download reaper (AND the 400+ PAGE MANUAL) ,gave it one look, and decided I'm gonna need a holiday to sort THAT out !!! ;-)

Your dynamic mic probably requires more gain than your mixer's preamp can provide without hiss. You need a lot of clean gain for a dynamic mic.

Could be an issue with preamp gain, I suppose, but I don't thing so. My xenyx1202FX mixer supposedly has the same pre-amps as OPs higher end version and I have no problems with level using SM57s and even a cheap $20mic that came "free" with a mic stand I bought once. Also he mentions that he has plenty of signal for monitoring. I really don't think he should need anything in the way of pre-amp beyond what's available in his mixer.

My suggestion at this point... Lose Audacity and load up Reaper. May have nothing to do with it but as least I'd be able to suggest things to check that might help diagnose.

As for input level control windows, I don't think you should have to mess with any of that. That makes me wonder about driver kinds of things but I'm not an expert in that area. I got mine to work a long time ago and have made a point of not messing with it ever since.

J

It's possible that you need more gain. However, tracking levels peaking around -12dBFS or less are quite normal, and comparing them directly to a track that may be mastered to a high average level could be misdirecting you. Try lowering the backing track levels to match your recordings. (You may have to turn up your monitoring.)

Back