low gain levels

paganprogress

I recorded some stuff with my telecaster onto my MR8 but the levels were cranked on the guitar and the MR8. I feel like I could get more of what I want (more gain) somehow with a preamp. What do I use? Since I have Ntrack I dont need something with effects, but something that I can get some (some!) distortion out of would be nice. Can I use a Boss dist. pedal for this. Although, it would be nice to have more gain for vocals to. So a 'kill two birds' option would be great. Thanks, sorry for the duh.

I don't think a distortion pedal will help you much in this case - you'll probably end up with a distorted sound which is still too low in level. I suggest you get an amp simulator instead - Line6 POD or Behringer are good choices if you don't want to mike up an amplifier. Forget the MR-8 'amp-sim' - it's a design flaw IMHO... :-/ Levels are a general problem with a Telecaster, as it is a single-coil pick-up guitar (assuming you have a 'standard' Telecaster and not a 'Custom' with humbuckers) it tends to have an output signal which is lower in volume than e.g. a Les Paul.

I use a Fender Telecaster with a POD, and it gives fantastic results! I had the Telecaster retrofitted with other pick-ups for more output. Be aware that the characteristic Telecaster sound may change drastically if you make such a modification - it really is a compromise between sound and sound level. I suggest you go ask your guitar dealer about this...

Regarding mic recordings, you may benefit from a mic preamp in many ways. They usually have built-in 48V phantom power, giving you the opportunity to use professional condenser mics with the MR-8. They may have compressors or limiters built-in, too, which may be indispensible when recording. Unfortunately, they can't handle a guitar signal directly. You may also record your Telecaster guitar by miking up a guitar amplfier as suggested earlier.

It all depends on what you want and the kind of money you are willing - or able - to invest in this.

regards, Nils

levels

buy a 49.00 behringer mixer with two channels, you will get the gain you need and you will get some eq control which the mr 8 doesnt have.... then mic your cabinet with yur favorite distortion pedal........

you can buy just a preamp but you get no eq, the mixer will give you better recordings.... or a better mixer if you can afford one...

this mixer has phantom power also, for condensor mics.....

Last edited:
mixer

be sure to get at least the UB802 Behringer mixer. I haven't seen it for $49 lately, but it is the one with phantom power. I bought one after reading Dave in Toledo's recommendation some time ago and it has made a tremendous difference in my recordings. It is a necessary investment. Thanks for the good advice Dave.

Back