Low end buzzing in my new Fender Blues Deluxe RI Amp

rothy

I purchased a new Fender Blues Deluxe RI Amp about 3 weeks ago and have played it nearly every day since then. Last night I noticed a horrible buzzing sound when playing lower notes. I tried several different guitars (tele, strat, sg, epi nova, etc.) all different pickups and it was still there. I also plugged it in to several different outlets in my house. I messed with all of the settings and nothing would get rid of the buzz. It seems like there is something loose or the speaker has blown. The buzz is only there in the low end, when I play higher notes it sounds crisp and clear like the day I brought it home.

I have never had this amp above "3" on the volume and did not notice the buzz until last night.

I plan to take it back to the shop I bought it at this weekend, but wanted to get any input I could from you guys first!

Yep, sounds like a speaker problem. Those factory speakers have always sounded a little flabby to me. Could also be a 6L6 has something rattling around inside, you could check those for physical anomallies.

Pull out the tubes and shake them next to your ear. If you hear anything rattle inside at all, you need new tubes. That is a common problem with these garbage tubes they ship now. Even buying new tubes, its a good idea to shake them IMO.

pdadda said:
DON't shake them too hard! Just give them a little tap.

Why? Tapping doesn't always show up.
When the tubes are cool, pull them and shake them. If they sound like a salt shaker, you found your problem. You won't damage them unless they are hot...in which case you won't be holding them for long. :D A paint shaker might damage them, but not the force that will let you still be able to keep it by your ear.

Last edited:
Also, check the speaker mounting screws and chassis mounting bolts. Could be a simple as a rattling speaker, or something else loose.

Also, do you have the bass cranked way up?

Thanks for the quick replies!

I will try pulling the tubes and checking the mounting screws when I get home tonight.

Zaphod B said:
Also, do you have the bass cranked way up?

No - in fact I tried every setting I could and the buzzing was still there.

Good luck, rothy - here's hoping it's something simple, cheap, and - best of all - covered by warranty! :)

Outlaws said:
Why? Tapping doesn't always show up.
When the tubes are cool, pull them and shake them. If they sound like a salt shaker, you found your problem. You won't damage them unless they are hot...in which case you won't be holding them for long. :D A paint shaker might damage them, but not the force that will let you still be able to keep it by your ear.

Agreed. Tubes aren't built as delicate as something like a light bulb. If it is, it's junk anyway. If some hand shaking hurts it, it was crap to begin with.

go ahead shake away.... but it aint your problem.... i'm betting on cabinet resonances /something physically loose.... start tightening shit down... have someone play some low notes and you press on the cab looking for loose things... BTW while those tubes are out check the sockets...

dementedchord said:
go ahead shake away.... but it aint your problem.... i'm betting on cabinet resonances /something physically loose.... start tightening shit down... have someone play some low notes and you press on the cab looking for loose things... BTW while those tubes are out check the sockets...

This should be the first thing to look at.

Back