low budget equipment advice needed...

Eddie N

10 Inch Member
its been so long since ive done any audio recording that ive fallen out of the loop...

basically , i have a band that wants to buy some equipment so that they can record... i have the computer part covered , but i need advice as to what gear would be optimal on a pretty low budget... the band consists of 2 guitarists , a drummer with a HUGE kit , a bassist , and a singer to be named later... heres what i was thinking...

for a mixer i would go with the mackie 1202vlz ...its got 4 inputs and 4 outputs as well as a bunch of cool features i dont know how to use (kinda like brads mom)..ive seen it on 8th street going for 350 bucks..

for recording the guitars , i figured i would go with an sm-57 on the cabinet... straight forward...

i can record the bass direct , or mic the cabinet with the same sm57...

for the vocals i can either buy a rode nt1 , or just pick up an sm58... but , im thinkin the nt1 might be a little too sensitive for the recording envirenment..but i wont rule it out if i can find another use fr an nt1 (like for micing the drums)...

now heres where it gets tricky...ive never recorded drums before... im thinking an sm57 on the snare drum , dunno what on the kick , and two dunno whats as stereo over heads for a total of four mics ...four mics for four inputs on my mixer , as well as four outputs into the four inputs on my soundcard (to be named later)..

i need advice on which low cost mics to get for recording the drums for i am totally clueless...

and dont forget headphones!! i need hadphones...and cabling...prolly lots of it...

and last but not least , the soundcard.. im so far out of the loop i dont even know what the best lower cost 4 input soundcard is these days... can someone fill me in as to what you thnk is te best bang for the buck as far as four inputs are concerned??

thank you all for all of your help... any input is greatly appreciated...

- eddie -

Yo Eddie,

Wassup wigga?....you didnt hear this from me, but Brad's mom been showing up here talking shit bout ya, bro...

that 1202 actually has 12 inputs, just has 4 with preamps....damn fine mixer...

57 on guitar amp is fine...bass direct is fine....

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ex/shop/home/010505221516024004254167281311?pid=273153
check these out for drum overheads....or look into the mxl603's from 8th street, i think they go for about 75.00 a piece...trust me...I think Emeric is using the 603's for overheads now...the mxl1000's in that mic package from MF is the same mic if you take the ball off of it....plus you get the free dynamic mic....the 57 on the snare....the guys here love the AKG D112 for kick, but you can get away with another 57....

As far as soundcards, the Delta 44 or Delta 66 from M-Audio is the shit.....I think they ship now with a version of Logic....

I'm all with Gidge on the maudio's, but I don't like the Marshall mic's myself. Since you won't be using tom mics, you might want to look more into large diaphragm condensors. They'll pick up the toms and cymbals better together then a small diaphragm (from my experience). I use Octava MC319's for my drum overheads, sometimes with close miced toms, sometimes without. I think it sounds great. Very clear. They're $150 each if you buy them in a pair at Guitar Center. For bass drum I'd go with either a plain SM57, or maybe a D112. D112 is pricier, but much better kick mic. 57 for snare. With the Mackie and something like that for mics, and a little time to place those overheads where the toms come out good (1 inch can make such a difference you wouldn't believe) you'll have something pretty decent.

Jake

damn yo....why brads mom be playin me out like sega genesis?? i need to kick dat biznitch to the curb.

anyways , thanks for the advice guys , its a good starting point for me to get back into this...the links were really helpful...if anyone else has any input keep it coming...

- eddie -

Eddie... I think you could get a way better sound on a guitar cabinet if you miked it up close with the SM57 as you said, but also adding a room mic (a condenser) in the background, and pan the two signals opposite eachother. I've never heard a straightforward single-mic cabinet recording that I liked.

I think you can do better on the mixer, too... try eBay for a used 1602 (1604? ...I can't remember...) or 1402 VLZ.

Headphones are "OK" for monitoring, and I have to admit, that's all I have for now, but if I were you, I'd look into some monitors.

Isaiah

Gidge is right about the AKG D112 being a good kick drum mic, but its also GREAT for bass amps as well. I tried it the other day and the results were incredible.

I am not the one to give advice about mics ;), so I won't.

But, I definitely think that the M Audio Delta cards are a great suggestion.

IMHO, I also think that you should start saving up for some reference monitors.

:) peace...

spin

Gidge? Jake? I think I was the one who offered the advice about the D112!

Oh, wait...

All I offered was my mom.

Where you been hidin', OGW?

Brad, you are a sick pathetic low down sorry ass excuse for a son if you would actually offer up your mother to several musicians(and Eddie)at this BBS for free.....you should be charging $$$ .........;)

Back