Lovely Documentary about AIR Lyndhurst studios in London

Cosmic

A nice look inside one of the two "London Meccas" of orchestral recording, AIR Lyndhurst, the other being Abbey Road, of course:

C.

Did you get the best comment? The wonderful Neve analgue console. It sounds wonderful because it doesn't do anything to the signal - all the other do. It needs new rotary controls that are the wiper and resistor stepped type - they sourced the spares and are building them, and fitting them and it will take a year! Many years back I was actually there for a session - it just sounded so big!

There's another video where you can see how they actually record orchestral sessions - with the producer doing his stuff and people updating clicks and going back and forth - the recording process is really interesting.

Did you get the best comment? The wonderful Neve analgue console. It sounds wonderful because it doesn't do anything to the signal - all the other do. It needs new rotary controls that are the wiper and resistor stepped type - they sourced the spares and are building them, and fitting them and it will take a year! Many years back I was actually there for a session - it just sounded so big!

There's another video where you can see how they actually record orchestral sessions - with the producer doing his stuff and people updating clicks and going back and forth - the recording process is really interesting.

Glorious! This is what it is all about,... the human element of interaction working towards a common goal of creating the the best collective recording possible. It is unfortunate that this approach will never be experienced by many due to the synthesized technology that has flooded the recording industry and home studios of today. I have been involved with live sessions, not of this magnitude of course, but the interaction and comradery are irreplaceable.

That analog gear will never totally go out of style and I believe there will always be a way to maintain it and keep it functioning well into the future,... just like a Ford Model-T.
I still use an analog console and analog 24 track which most clients prefer the sound of. The tactility of analog gear is what keeps me interested in the recording process.

Back