Loud Hummm on Sound Blaster Platinum SPDIF input

radiogold

THE ALMIGHTY HUMMMMM FROM HELL

I recently bought a Sound Blaster Live Platinum for my fathers computer. We wanted to transfer all our vinyl records to CD-R.

This is our set up. We have a Packard-Bell 433mhz computer with 64mgs ram. Windows 98 with 28 gig Hard-drive space. On this we have a Sony S145 SCSI burner and Adaptec Scsi Controller.

We have a JVC Turntable connected to a Phono Preamp. Preamp is then connected to the SPDIF line in at the front of the Sound Blaster live.

At the control panel on the screen we have all the faders set to min and all are muted. The only one switched on is the SPDIF Input is where the turntable is connected on to.

All wires are untangled and are as further away from the computer as possible and also away from power leads.

The back of the computer and turntable are earthed to a pole which is then going outside the house and into the ground.

When ever we click the input channel on the on-screen panel. We get this loud humming sound with the needle off the record. When I measured the loudness of the humm through Sound Forge, the Levels went right up to 45db. (very loud) Considering that the surface sound of a record comes to about 70-80 db, in the blank spot of a record.

I noticed that the Sound Blaster Live Platinum has a optical input. Would it be worth while investing in a amplifier that has analog input for a turntable but optical output for a soundcard? Whilst speaking to people, they describe this problem as “earth leakage”

Does anybody have any suggestions. This earth leakage humm has really become a very persistent problem. I have notice too that the humm is in two ways. One part of it is a hummm and the other is rather more of a buzzing sound. Whilst playing around with the plugs, we had fluctuations in the buzzing sound but not in the humming sound.

I was really excited about the idea of putting vinyl on to CD but unfortunately this problem has very much soured the experience. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Mark
Eastern Australia
boerebach@ozemail.com.au

S/PDIF stands for Sony/Phillips DIGITAL interface, are you sure that the phono preamp has a digital out? Try plugging into the 'Line In' jack and see if that works.

Good Luck.

EVERYTHING IS WORKING GREAT!!!!! - Delta 66

Through trying all sorts of ideas with the SBLive. That stubborn hum wouldn’t budge. At times now, my fathers computer sounds like a helicopter — OK, a little bit exaggerated. But the SBLive was a lost cause. I have taken it as a rather expensive lesson. Rather then reading reviews. I listened to a few cards at some music shops. The M Audio Delta 66 was a huge improvement.

Now with my very own computer, I have invested in a Delta 66 and never been happier. Mastering my old vinyl to CD has changed from a frustrating disappointment to a fantastic recording experience. My old 80’s twelve inch collection has never sounded so great. Even those hollow sounding K-TEL compilations from the 70’s, sound better then ever.

I purchased the Delta 66 as the soundcard is mainly designed for recording. Creative Products are mainly for video games and for the odd tinker around, such as sending a voice message over the internet.

I use Delta in combination with Sound Forge 4.5. I’m using it on a 1.7Ghtz Gateway with 128 RDRAM. The system runs very stable without any freeze ups. The Computer is hooked up to a Rotel Pre-amp.

I would like to thank OneArtist and Vox for their suggestions and their valued help.

Mark.

Back