LOTS OF NEWBIE ?'S

Thyst

OK I am planning on buying some recording stuff like mixer sound card and mics and hook it up to my computer to record with my band and just as a hobbie. But I just realized I have no understanding of the recording process at all. I only understand the products and stuff you need to record. Ok so here it goes. My first question is what do all those little buttons and knobs on the mixer do. If you cant record everything at the same time do just play the song 4 times only recording 1 instrument at a time.(if you have guitar,bass,drums,vocals) If im right wouldent the timing on on each track be different. My final question and probably the dumbest is what is the stuff you do for hours after the band is gone siting on your computer, mixing down? I dont know.

It would be WAY to time consuming to show a newbie here
what's this switch for,what's this doo-hicke do,etc.etc.
But to give you a basic idea of the functions a mixer performs:
An average mixer usually has 4 to 32 tracks (there are also 48,64 and more track boards). Each track has a line-input,insert-input,TRS jack,75hz cut-rolloff switch,trim pot, 2-4 band EQ pots,Aux pots,a fader,a solo,group and L/R
switches that are pre-fader.
Lets say you are recording a vocal on track 1, the vocal signal flows thru the preamp,trim(volume) and thru EQ (which tweak-freaks use to adjust the sibilance,tone and any other vocal freqs') If you have on-board efx,like compression,and 'verbs,the Aux pots send the signal,prior to the fader or PFL to the AUX SEND & AUX RET jacks of the board to either bring back a "wet effect"(a signal that has been processed thru a signal processor and returned back with the desired effect).After the signal is returned back from the signal processor thru the Aux Returns it is then routed thru to your fader for monitoring via depressing a "SOLO" ,"GROUP" or "L/R" and sending signal to whatever you are recording to and your monitors/headphines-control room.
I prob'ly left some things out in my haste but me thinks this is just a simple way to understand a mixer.There's a whole lot more,So prior to making any purchases,READ,READ,READ!!!! If you have any more questions
you can either refer to the "SEARCH" function of this BBS
or just come back here with a more "SPECIFIC" question.Myself and others are glad to help.
We were all newbies 1 time or anutha'!
Peace
Mr.Q

I found it helpful to read the manuals BEFORE purchasing the equiptment so as to have at least a general idea of how to use the equiptment before you get it in front of you. Go to some manufacture's web sites and you can download a manual to read. Read these several times through and you will begin to understand how they work. Then when you do purchase it, you won't be as frustrated with the learning curve. As with everything, the more you put in, the more you can get out!

Back