lost song!!

nassa

Hi there,
I did some recording the other night....the takes that were of no use I deleted to the recycle bin. Unfortunatley I put some takes in the bin that were useful - and now I need to get them back. I am using windows xp home edition. As I emptied the recycle bin, I'm under the impression that they are gone forever... But hoping...just hoping there is some tool, besides the system restore (which I have already tried)where I can retrieve these files? I can't find them in cubase either.
I'd appreciate some advice if anyone can help.
Thanx, Nassa

When you empty recycle bin, you don't actually take the file out of your hard drive. The file remains in the hard drive till some other new file over writes it. So if you want to restore better don't add any stuff in yoru hard drive. I am not sure how exactly to do it, but this may help
http://www.webattack.com/editorials/e-undelete.html

If you're lucky enough to have either two drives, or two partitions on your one drive, AND you're NOT running either Win2k or WinXP, you can probably do it. I managed to accomplish just that a few years ago using Norton Utilities - the main problem is that if you do ANYTHING that could write over the area where the song files (still) reside, they're gone forever. So, don't save ANYTHING more to your drive til you try other ways. If you're running either Win98 or WinME, you can buy a copy of Norton Systemworks, and RUN IT FROM THE CD - that way, you don't overwrite the areas where your files are sitting, minus only their identifiers for the file system you're running. If you're on either 2k or XP, start re-recording because your files are gone (unless you have a lot of money and want them really badly)

If you're on 98, you can run Systemworks from the CD. Look in the manual that comes with Systemworks, in the index under File Recovery - the directions in my manual are on page 218.

If you're on a newer OS, I don't know of anything that will work for sure - These guys were recommended by another poster on another board, you might check them out -

http://www.runtime.org/

guy claimed they were magicians, maybe they can help... Steve

Thanks a lot guys. I will try out your suggestions for future reference. As it is, I'm accepting the fact that it probably has gone forever. I use xp. Hmmm.....ah well.
Thanx again,
Love Nassa

nassa said:
Hi there,
I did some recording the other night....the takes that were of no use I deleted to the recycle bin. Unfortunatley I put some takes in the bin that were useful - and now I need to get them back. I am using windows xp home edition. As I emptied the recycle bin, I'm under the impression that they are gone forever... But hoping...just hoping there is some tool, besides the system restore (which I have already tried)where I can retrieve these files? I can't find them in cubase either.
I'd appreciate some advice if anyone can help.
Thanx, Nassa

I think your problem might have been solved till date but my suggestion would help those visitors who want to recover data.

When we delete a file from the hard drive or emptied it from recycle bin, the files are marked as deleted but not actually wiped from your disk. Files are there as long as it is overwritten. To recover those types of file a program called Stellar Phoenix FAT & NTFS data recovery software can be used.

I have used this program earlier to recover lost data. It has worked pretty well for me. I have also tried some othe data recovery software as well but I am impreesed by the Stellar Phoenix. Becasue it recovers the files in tree structure, with all the directories and file name preserved. I simply downloaded the demo version from http://www.stellarinfo.com/partition-recovery.htm. Through demo version I was able to see my recovered data.

Hope this piece of information may help other visitors of forum.

Don't most operating systems have "System restore", where you can go back to a chosen date and time (Like an hour or a day before you deleted something you want back).

nassa there are alot of programs that let you "recover" lost data. Some even help even after a reformat. PM me if you need help with the programs or links to get them

good luck!!

rob

Back