Loseing bass while micing amplifier

TylerDrums109

So im micing my roland cube 15 with an sm57....the amp is inside an amp case with foam inside and a blanket covering it...the mic goes into my alesis multimix usb mixer then into my computer...problem is is that when i play back my sound i seem to have almost no bass at all in my sound...its very strange.....any ideas what the problem could be?

How close is the mic to the cone? (57' has a steep roll-off farther than a few inches out. How about singing/talking low tones right up on the mic -low end then?
Different cable? Can you get other things to record ok?
Try to eliminate the variables.

So im micing my roland cube 15 with an sm57....the amp is inside an amp case with foam inside and a blanket covering it...the mic goes into my alesis multimix usb mixer then into my computer...problem is is that when i play back my sound i seem to have almost no bass at all in my sound...its very strange.....any ideas what the problem could be?

would you happen to be an acquaintance of Walters?

Oh c'mon, this isn't even close to Walters territory.

I'd recommend getting rid of the blanket and amp case (whatever that is!). I think that you're just asking for something to overheat, especially if you're doing this for long periods of time. If you're doing that for volume control purposes, I don't think that you need to really crank one of those Cube amps to get it to sound good. So just turn it down and ditch the blanket/case. I know that turning it up loud enough to involve the speaker in the whole equation is a good thing. But your Cube may sound pretty close to the same at a lower volume.i

Mixsit has a good suggestion. You might even try experimenting with mic placement. The closer the mic is to the center of the speaker cone, the less bass it'll pick up. The closer it is to the perimiter of the speaker, the more bass it'll pick up (relative to other frequencies, that is).

Who's walter? am i being made fun of?

Well neways...for some reason the problem has disappeared on its own...left it alone overnight and now it seems to be working properly

the cab and blanket is virtually a bass trap thus sucking up all the bass frequency.

Place the SM57 right on the grill cloth, placed toward the outward edge of the cone (about 1/3 to 1/2 of the way between the cone edge and the cone center), pointing parallel to the cone surface.

Your Cube isn't going to be producing prodigious amount of bass in any case, but you will pick up more treble at the center of the cone. As mixsit posted, SM57's have a prominent (positive) low-end proximity effect so if your mic is not right on the cone you will be losing the advantage of that mic characteristic.

I also agree with Tadpui and Roguetitan that the isolation box/blanket/whatever can affect the sound. If your concern is sound bleeding into other mics during recording, a simple baffle between other mics might be effective. If you are just single-tracking with the Cube, forget the isolation altogether and let your room add a little ambience.

No worrys. 'walter was just a very unique time for a while.
So what in the end changed to get your tone back anyway?

I still have no idea...i got frustrated trying to fix it...i tried everything...i finally got frustrated and went to bed (it was late)...came back the next day to give it one more shot...and the problem was gone

I still have no idea...i got frustrated trying to fix it...i tried everything...i finally got frustrated and went to bed (it was late)...came back the next day to give it one more shot...and the problem was gone

Ah, you got a visit from the Tone Fairy! Did you leave a broken guitar pick under your pillow? ;^)

Back