loosening the truss rod

IronFlippy

Dedicated To My Member
Will loosening the truss rod on my acoustic too much damage anything? I've got a decent amount of back bow happening (strings are buzzing like crazy). I've already loosened it a half turn and left it overnight. I recently stepped the string gauge down, maybe there isn't enough tension? I have Martin 12s (phosphor bronze) on it now, they used to be the same thing in 13s. I won't be able to get to a luthier anytime in the next couple months, but if it's too risky, I can wait.

Loosening it won't do any damage. The only thing that might be a pain is if you unscrew the nut completely. Even then, you just have to put it back on.

Thanks Farview!

That's what I thought, but I had no experience/knowledge to back myself up.

How much did you loosen it? To go from 13's to 12's should require only about
1/4 to a 1/2 turn tops.

A bit more than that. I'm going to take it to a luthier for a setup (hasn't had one in almost 10 years). I'll tell him that I suspect the truss rod may not be working properly (could be my own idiocy :p). I appreciate the help guys!

It can take more than overnight for that neck to settle down.
Also ..... I'd put it across my knee and put a bit 'o' pressure on it.
But not too much! This is where a luthier is helpful.

A bit more than that. I'm going to take it to a luthier for a setup (hasn't had one in almost 10 years). I'll tell him that I suspect the truss rod may not be working properly (could be my own idiocy :p). I appreciate the help guys!

Try to find someone really good for the setup. If you're getting a good amount of buzzing up and down the neck, then you may need a neck reset and you probably don't want some shlub in the Guitar Center basement diagnosing your problem or you'll wind up paying for a setup and still have the buzz issue.

Some neck resets are easy like on a Taylor where the neck angle is set by a floating wedge; some are difficult as on a Martin where the neck angle has to be recreated by a real craftsman. I've seen plenty of people get their "fixed" guitars back only to find they're not all that much better than before.

Research a good luthier in your area. And once you find a good one, never bring your guitars to anyone else.

Short of that, if your guitar is under warranty (if you're the original owner, most quality makers cover neck resets for life), you can call the maker and they'll recommend someone they know can do the work correctly.

Back