Loops pkay in Acid...not Sonar

rjt

This may have been covered here somewhere, but....

I am using Sonar XL 2.2 and Acid 4. I am writing a song in Sonar (so I can use midi etc) that has several loops. The song is 86BPM and in Sonar is listed as being in the key of C (although it is really in D Dorian mode). To preview etc. some additional loops for the song, I used a bit of the audio from the Sonar version and selected about 10 loops I'd like to play with (using Acid to preview the loops and then export them in the proper key and tempo). I exported the loops, but when I open them in Sonar they are slightly out of time and a bit off key. Sooooo, I a) exported the loops in several keys including C, D and G b) tried opening the original loops in Sonar (not the loops I exported with the "correct info" from Acid) c) messed with the key in Sonar trying boty C and D and d) exported the audio from Sonar, after a "mix to track" to Acid. Bottom line, the loops sound fine in Acid. Don't seem to work right in Sonar. Hmmmm

Well I've just spent a frustrating 90 minutes wondering what the heck is going on. Suggestions, help, the answer or pointing me to a prior thread dealing with this issue are all welcome.

Thanks in advance. Take Care

Hmmm... I don't know exactly what's wrong but I've got a few questions:

1) What soundcard do you have? What is your Playback Timing Master in Options -> Audio?

2) What clocksource do you have? It should be set to "Audio Sync". (Maybe there's an easier way, but to check this, right-click on the toolbars and select the "Sync"-menu.)

I have the Daktota/Sierra Soundcard option from Frontier Design. It is connected to synths and mixer through ADAT Lightpipes. The playback timing option is the first lightpipe channel, as it was recommended that I use a source that I actually use (the first adat pair goes into my mixer.... I have 4 adat lightpipes in and 4 out).

Audio is set at the sync source.

Thanks.

Okay, this kinda works. When I exported the loops.... no go. When I render each individual loop, it sounds fine in Sonar. A lot more trouble.... sooooo, would still like an answer how to make export loops work... but at least this song continues to progress.

I just don't understand why you use Acid in the first place...

If you want to use Acid, why not just create the song in Acid, export each track to Sonar and mix there?

Moskus,

I think Acid is much easier to use than Sonar with regards to it's looping capabilities and I think it does a better job than Sonar when it transposes and/or changes the tempo of Acidized loops. Unfortunately, I also play some things live which I record as audio and some things into midi for use by both hardward and software synths. I don't see audio recording or midi recording/editing as strengths in Acid. Finally, because of the complex nature of recording on WDM devices, I have to reboot my system, after making a software change, to use the full capacity of my sound cards in Acid versus Sonar.

Ultimately, it boils down to how I like to work. My preference is to write etc in Sonar and drop in an occasional loop.... which I have usually previewed and both pitch and tempo shifted in Acid.

Hope this helps

I did some research, and it turns up that if you export the loop as Acidized loops, you should have no problem at all...

Why you are having problems, I don't know... I'm all out of ideas. :(

I am not sure what you mean by Acidized loops. When I select "export loops" it supposedly saves them in the current key and tempo of the song..... i.e. it adds something like Funk guitar A 180 to indicate this. If I do a render, again, Acidized loop is not one of the selections, just things like Wav Aiff etc. As an acide, when I open the original loops in Sonar, they don't appear to play correctly.... or at least they sound different than the loops do when opened in Acid. At least when I render the files one at a time, they sound the same in Sonar as they do in Acid.

Thanks for your time.

Take Care

Back