Loops and loud guitars

37point5

Well, this one has been 5 months in the making. What a pain in the ass moving is. Oh well. Anyway, it's a rock song that incorporates drum loops mixed with real drums, screaming and whispering vocals, loud guitars, etc, etc.

I used the Rode NT1 on all the vocals, an SM57, EV257, an Oktava MC012 and the Rode for the drum kit, and the EV257 and the Rode for the guitars. All running through two Tube MPs and a Behringer MX602 mixer, into a Delta 66 soundcard, and then into Cakewalk. A whole bunch of plugins were used, but mostly the NPP2 from Waves, and Hyperprism's pack.

I think it turned out pretty well. I'm happiest with the vocals, but I think the drums sound good, too. But please let me know what YOU think about the mix, because I'm planning on playing it for various local recording studios as part of my demo reel for some (hopefully) upcoming audio production gigs. And I've pretty much lost all objectivity about this song, as I'm sure many of you can relate to.

The song is called "Dead Alibis", and it can be found at http://www.mp3.com/37point5

There is also a remixed stripped-down version there that is called "Dead Alibis (loopz remix)". Also, "Tracey" has recently been remastered, so give that a listen if you have time, too.

Thanks in advance!

Ryan

Totally enjoyed hearing this.....vocal sound very very good and mix overall heavy as it should be....very original composition too....gibs

Hey, real nice song man. Great guitar sounds. I had to fight to hear the vocals at certain parts of the song. It was clashing with something or just not up enough. But I'm really nit-picking here, excellent work.

Ray J

Hey guys, thanks a bunch for the compliments.

Gibs: I'm particularly proud of the vocals. They took a really long time to finish, mainly because I couldn't figure out exactly what production style would make them fit into the song and the mix. I ended up triple-tracking them on the chorus. Two of the voices sang the same thing, and another sang a harmony an octave lower. They ended up sounding pretty thick. On the verses they were double-tracked.

Ray J: The distorted rhythm guitars were actually quadruple-tracked. Two of them were miced with different guitars and different distortion settings, and two of them were run direct with different distortion settings applied in ReValver (a great program, by the way). There was also a clean guitar that ran through the whole song, and two that ran through the break part.

You're right about the vocals getting a little lost, especially in the bits just before each verse. The mix was so dense that it was hard to fit everything in, which is why I did a remix of it (which is also on the mp3.com page). In the remix I left a bunch of stuff out and so that some of the parts that got buried could be heard more clearly.

Thanks again for taking the time to listen and respond!

Ryan

Wow, you've done some really alot out of that Rode. With vox and guitar. That's intesting that the Rode works out so well for miking a amp cabinet.
I have no nit-picks with this one.

-Jett Rocker

Back