Looper effects pedal question..

gene12586

Hi all,

So, I recently upgraded from the Boss RC-2 Loopstation to the RC-3 because the RC-3 has USB capability. The manual says that not only can one upload tracks from the RC-3 to computer, but you can write WAV files from computer to the RC-3. My question is this: I have a few drum loops in mp3 format on my computer that I like to play along with. If I convert them to WAV format and then write them to the RC-3, should I be concerned about playing them through my guitar amplifier (Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue) when I play guitar and loop over them with guitar parts etc? I want to do this to avoid having to use both my computer (to play the drum loops).... too many pieces of equipment=annoying.... It would be less overwhelming if I had all of the instrumentation coming out of one source (my guitar amplifier). Also, then I could neatly save all of these instruments onto one track and not have to worry about synching them up in time on Logic. I'm worried because drums out of a guitar amp seems dangerous: like it could damage the amp or something along those lines. To take it a step further: what if I take two loops on my computer (one drums and one another instrument like a piano and make them into one track using Logic). Could I then write them onto the RC-3 and play them out of my guitar amp along with whatever guitar I play over it? Could that somehow damage the speakers? I hope this makes sense.

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Gene

I've done this with an RC-30. Just be sure to set the volume on the looper VERY low and then gradually raise the volume. Didn't do anything to my amp, you know playing bass through a guitar amp is a big no-no, so there might be some risk involved. Just do not turn it up loud.

Also, the sound will not be very accurate through a guitar amp. Much better through monitors. And remember not to use any amp overdrive as it will overdrive the drums as well which might be damaging.

You have to remember that a typical guitar amp speaker is not designed for low frequency or HIGH frequency accuracy/reproducability, so this may not sound very good. If you are just running prerecorded loops, consider plugging the looper into the 'normal' channel on the amp, and your guitar into the 2nd channel.

Yeah, it'll sound like drums coming out of a guitar amp, but it's not going to hurt anything. Be a little conservative with levels at first, but don't worry too much. You will hear the speakers struggling long before you actually do any permanent damage to them.

Back