Loop the Loop?

TripleJ

Hey guys,

I've been using Cubase SX 3 (I think theres a new version out?) for a while now and I'm comfortable using it.

Something that has always irked me however is I can't for the life of me figure out how to loop a part when playing it. I've read the manual but I just can't work it out.

Now I've tried lots of things but I feel I'm missing something really really obvious. I don't use the Audition Bus if that makes a difference.

Can anyone out there explain to me exactly how to do it, I feel like a nunce.

Thanks Guys,
-Dan

Using Cubase LE.... if you want to loop audio i think its just a matter of moving the L and R markers around the part you want to loop and then if you look at the "Transport" controller there is a button that looks like a race track with arrows which loops the portion (its next to the drop-in and drop-out buttons).

I can't imagine your version being totally different to LE.

Yup this is correct.

Now if someone can explain to me; after you loop parts you have a bunch of small takes displayed on one track. How do you display one as a wave? It would be nice to view them if they were on top of each other like when you record over an existing track.

This is really hard to explain, I hope someone understands what I'm saying.

Glue all of the small takes together (with the glue pencil) and then you will have one complete wav file ;)

hmm, not what I mean. When I loop a part and record it it makes little bars that represent each take. It doesn't look the same as when I do overdubs and record over a part (i.e. the wave turns greay at the overlaps).

I think I have one of my settings not how I want it.

I'm having alot of trouble explaining what I mean, sorry.

MatthewRedStars said:
Using Cubase LE.... if you want to loop audio i think its just a matter of moving the L and R markers around the part you want to loop and then if you look at the "Transport" controller there is a button that looks like a race track with arrows which loops the portion (its next to the drop-in and drop-out buttons).

I can't imagine your version being totally different to LE.

I knew it'd be simple! Thanks mate.

lomky said:
hmm, not what I mean. When I loop a part and record it it makes little bars that represent each take. It doesn't look the same as when I do overdubs and record over a part (i.e. the wave turns greay at the overlaps).

I think I have one of my settings not how I want it.

I'm having alot of trouble explaining what I mean, sorry.
I don't think I saw which version you were using, but in SL/SX, on the very left of the transport panel (hit F2 to toggle this on/off if you're not sure what this is), there are two dropdown lists above the AUTO Q selection. The top one is the "Record Mode", below that is the "Cycle Mode". What you need to do (in SL/SX, not sure for LE/SE) is select "Stacked" The default is "Normal") in the Record Mode dropdown.

Back