Loop pedals worth buying....

MatchBookNotes

Time for my monthly stupid post :D
I am interested in a loop pedal, something to record like a rhythm part on guitar and to play the rest of the song at like open mic's and such.
I'm not rich by any means but have payment plan so what's something that's worth paying off?
Boss has their loop station with cosm... is it good? other than that i don't really know of any.

BUDGET?
This = $190.00
435279.jpg

This = $260.00
239261.jpg

This = $500.00
344131.jpg

the Boss are good loop stations
the RC 2 is all I need you can stack 16 minuites of loops on the RC2 which is all you can stack on the RC 20 so I would opt for the RC 2 for less dough

300 is as far as i'm willing to go.

So the rc-2 is perfect for an amateur? and thanks i probably wouldn't have noticed that they stored the same amount.

also, would it be possible to get a local tech to make a boss pedal true bypass?

300 is as far as i'm willing to go.

So the rc-2 is perfect for an amateur? and thanks i probably wouldn't have noticed that they stored the same amount.

also, would it be possible to get a local tech to make a boss pedal true bypass?

It just takes reading up, playing around with until you figure it all out.

Not sure what you mean by true bypass, you are either bypassing or sending the signal through the signal chain.

One more to think about.

I own a RC-20, loved it so much I purchased a RC-50. That being said I don't think you can go wrong with either of these.

I just purchase an Akai Head Rush which is working out fine, although I didn't want it for the looping as much as I wanted it for the delay. Seems to have a little more noise, but again I wanted it for the four head tape emulation with 1/4" outs for each head. Picked mine up at the local GC for 179.00 (they will match web prices). Just might be something to look into depending on your needs and tastes.

Just my .02

-JR Miller

Digitech JamMan has one feature that may be unique- it uses CompactFlash memory cards, can store up to a whopping SIX HOURS of loops. It has the same 2 buttons the Boss RC-20 has, and you can get a 3-button add-on that is good for live use if you store loops ahead of time.

Eddie's Attic in Decatur, GA has an open-mic shoot out- and loopers are verboten.

I use a Digitech Jam Man looper and have about 50 songs pre installed in it.... drums and bass. I play guitar with a keyboard player, and it works great. My only gripe is I would have paid extra for stereo....and the "big gun" Boss unit wasn't out yet... Plus I don't think it can store that much either. The hardest part is getting the levels all consistant with each other... like switching from song 15 to song 42... etc.

I have a program called Har-Bal (OMG!! :-) ), and it actually did the trick setting the levels and keeping them all in the same ballpark EQ wise too. Took an evening to get them all set.

oh...the foot pedal to switch programs is most definately needed in my situation. Been doing this for about 2 years now with the same looper. Has USB so you can fix anything on the computer too.

I was originally going to use it as a "looper" while playing solo, but quickly did a left turn and use it for this stuff.

Oh...sound quality is fine... stores 16 bit .wav files at 44.1....that's good enuff for live. Can overdub about 6-7 times and then the quality starts to get on the edge...but is still very usable.

I think you'll do well with a Boss RC-2. But you might eventually want to add an accessory foot switch. Boss makes a good one (FS-5U?, I'm not home to check for sure). I did and it made the great little RC-2 even easier to use.

Will

I know it's out of your price range, but I have the RC-50 and it's a great machine - add a couple of footswitches and you can do amazing stuff with it...

I use it both as a creative tool and live...

Back