Looks like Smithers XKR took a rain check.

I thought maybe he got the bant, as requested. I at times sort of wondered maybe just a little bit if it was all an act. He was maybe a little too far out there sometimes. In any case I wish the guy well and hope he can get himself sorted.

Reactions: TAE
Smithers was a bit of an unusual dude. I didn't have a problem with him personally, but found his habit of posting 4 or 5 one or two line messages within a few minutes, sometimes replying or complaining about his own posts to be very strange behavior.

Hopefully he's getting things together and comes out the other side.

He hinted at getting himself banned early on, then later begged for it.
He self admittedly was a dick to a mod in hopes of getting banned, then was pretty much a dick to everyone. Gecko granted him his wish.
Good riddance to him, I’m not as benevolent as TAE.

Not sure as much banned as I believe he wanted to get his username / account deleted and hopefully all of his post removed...morning after regrets. When sober he was a knowledgeable, articulate and decent cat. Never heard any of his music but I suspect a decent player from his references and such. For some reason he never gave me any grief but he definitely gave some others some.

Again being 35 years sober, I have a decent understanding of the disease of addiction and make no excuses for bad behavior. Just hope he can find his way out of the warm shit he's swimming in, clean himself off and enjoy the rest of his life to the fullest.

Not sure as much banned as I believe he wanted to get his username / account deleted and hopefully all of his post removed...morning after regrets. When sober he was a knowledgeable, articulate and decent cat. Never heard any of his music but I suspect a decent player from his references and such. For some reason he never gave me any grief but he definitely gave some others some.

Again being 35 years sober, I have a decent understanding of the disease of addiction and make no excuses for bad behavior. Just hope he can find his way out of the warm shit he's swimming in, clean himself off and enjoy the rest of his life to the fullest.

Very nicely said.

Reactions: TAE
Yes - a shame, as I think we all got used to working out which head he was wearing when he posted, and he did recognise that he bahaved oddly, but couldn't do much about it bar say sorry afterwards, which must have taken guts.

One of my old friends has a similar disfunction in that he is very smart and one of the nicest guys I know but he is an alcoholic and a complete a-hole when he's plastered. I sympathize because it's heartbreaking to see a person self destruct but at the same time it can be very irritating. Smithers seemed to have the same Jeckle and Hyde thing going on as my friend.

In all my years on forums I have never seen someone requesting a “self ban”
They usually don't request it, they intentionally push it till they are banned. I can't remember what I was banned for but I am sure it was being a dick and an asshole.

Back